Recreation and Fitness Center
2020 NIRSA Indoor Outstanding Sports Facilities Award Application
The following information completes the application for the 2020 NIRSA Indoor Outstanding Sports Facilities Award. Photographs, executive summary, and blueprints/renderings can be found below and by using the left navigation.
The Recreation and Fitness Center won the Associated Builders and Contractor’s top award for an “Institutional Project over $10M” to be presented on December 5, 2019.
Construction of the new Recreation and Fitness Center is in response to the JSU strategic plan to enhance the quality of campus life and to recruit and retain students.
- 2016: Brailsford & Dunlavey engaged with JSU to plan, design, and construct the new Recreation Center.
- September 23, 2016: Paul Brailsford, co-founder and CEO of Brailsford & Dunlavey, and Jeff Sessine, Senior Vice President of Centers, present to the JSU Board of Trustees.
- January 2017: BOT unanimously approves proposal to build a new 101,000 square foot fitness and wellness center through a public private partnership with the JSU Foundation.
- July 24, 2017: CENTERS begins management of current recreation operation.
- September 23, 2017: Ground breaking ceremony held for new Recreation Center.
- April 10, 2018: Turner Construction holds “topping out” ceremony to celebrate the construction milestone.
- January 14, 2019: Soft Opening of the Recreation and Fitness Center.
- January 21, 2019: Recreation and Fitness Center begins operating under normal hours.
- January 28, 2019: Grand Opening of the Recreation and Fitness Center.