A Guide for Online Students and Others Using Online Technology
Students are encouraged to review all of these materials, especially those taking online courses.
Local Help From Online@JSU - Monday through Friday fro m 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Central Time; email@example.com or (256) 782-8172
Canvas Support Team - 24/7 help and support resources available inside the Canvas LMS in the global navigation Help menu (Live Chat, Web Form, Self-Help Guides, and Phone - 877-404-2235)
Facebook - Stay connected with Announcements, Tips, and Suggestions.
You will use the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) for your JSU online course(s). From within Canvas there are many resources and much information to help you learn to use Canvas and other technology for your courses.
Login info - Go to the Canvas Access page.
To find your JSU email address and lemail ogin credentials, contact Information Technology Help Desk at (256) 782-8324
For assistance, click the Help link inside Canvas or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (256) 782-8172.
eMail- Login at http://outlook.office365.com/
JSU email is referred to as GEM. You will receive a GEM account as part of the application process. If you do not know your GEM account information, please contact the Information Technology Help Desk at (256) 782-8324 or email@example.com .
Office 365 (Word, PowerPoint, and More)
Each student at JSU has access to Microsoft Office and many other tools. These services are part of the GEM email account. Office is available online and as a download to personal devices. OneDrive is included and offers students an excellent place to back-up and store university-related files.
Many services such as registration, course schedule, email, and other technology may be accessed via https://my.jsu.edu/. Login with your ID (first part of email address) and your current or default password.
For the best course experience within Canvas and other technology, you need to have access to a minimum amount of technology. Please keep the following in mind as you review the recommendations and requirements below:
- Each system has certain requirements.
- The technology listed below is utilized in most online courses, but Canvas is used in almost all courses regardless of course format.
- The other technology listed may also be used in many courses, even if not fully online.
- Some academic departments and programs may have specific hardware and software requirements for student computers. Before purchasing a computer, please check with your department to learn more about recommended specifications.
Minimum Specifications Recommended (for details and potential acceptable variations, see Requirement Details info section below):
- Hardware and OS
- Windows 10 with the latest updates
- Intel Core i5 (or equivalent AMD CPU)
- 8 GB RAM
- 128 MB or more of graphics memory
- SSD (recommended), 250 GB or more and/or HDD, 500 GB or more
- 15" LCD or larger
- Built-in or USB web camera with microphone (a limited number of USB webcams are available for short-term check out through the JSU Houston Cole Library)
- Built-in or USB wireless network card capable of 100 Mbps or more
- Compatible headphones
- Optical drive
- External HDD (for routine backups)
- USB 3.0 thumb drive, 32 GB or more (recommended)
- Web browser
- Google Chrome with latest updates
- Cookies allowed from Canvas and Turnitin.com/TurnitinUK.com
- Honorlock Extension installed (provided at no additional charge by JSU to all students and employees; see below for more info)
- No blocking of necessary web addresses, etc. (see below for more info)
- Google Chrome with latest updates
- Internet access:
- Cable or DSL Internet subscription
- Minimum 10 Mbps download speed, 50 Mbps or more recommended
- Minimum 1 Mbps upload speed, 5 Mbps or more recommended
- Note: Higher download and upload speeds are necessary for networks with multiple users and/or multiple devices, especially where streaming and large file transfers are involved.
- Cable or DSL Internet subscription
- Other software
- Kaltura Capture (provided at no additional charge by JSU to all students and employees; see below for more info)
- Microsoft Office 365 (provided at no additional charge by JSU to all students and employees)
- Microsoft Teams (provided at no additional charge by JSU to all students and employees; see below for more info)
- Windows Defender with updated definitions and scheduled scans
- Do not block required web addresses and other pathways (see below for more info)
Requirement Details For Each Standard Online System:
- Canvas System Requirements
- Kaltura Video Platform
- See Kaltura Student Tutorial for more info
- Honorlock Online Proctoring (scroll down to Minimum Requirements section on the linked page)
- See Honorlock Student Tutorial for more info
- Turnitin Feedback Studio
- Microsoft Teams System Requirements
- See Teams Student Tutorial for more info
Textbooks may be ordered online from the JSU bookstore at their online site (JSU Bookstore). Textbooks may also be ordered by phone, mail, and in person. eBook versions of textbooks may be available for some courses from within the Canvas LMS.
Textbook buyback days are scheduled for the week of finals at the end of Fall, Spring, and Summer II semesters.
Call JSU Bookstore- (256) 782-5283 or toll free at 1-800-231-5291 (ask for bookstore)
Location- Theron Montgomery Building, second floor
Tutoring services at Jacksonville State University models high-quality, effective academic skills, provide content-specific supplemental instruction, and create a connection to the institution. A tutor's goal is to help students LEARN to help themselves and to assist or guide students to the point at which they become independent learner. Tutoring is available for any JSU student for most core courses. Tutoring is FREE as long as you are a JSU student. Requests for tutoring can be made in person at ACE in person or through the GradesFirst website.
Call Academic Center for Excellence- (256) 782-8223
Request a Tutor
Location- Theron Montgomery Building, third floor
In your online courses, you may be use numerous options for completing tests and assessments. Check with your instructor for testing requirements.
Online proctoring - Your professor may require you to use Honorlock, JSU's online remote proctoring service. There is no additional cost to students for this service. For more information, go to the Honorlock information page where you may also complete a practice Honorlock quiz.
Campus Services - (when appropriate):
- JSU Testing Center - For certain testing situations, you may need this resource in order to complete your test. This resource is also available even when using Honorlock, for students who do not have a computer or location meeting the Honorlock requirements. Scheduling ahead of time is required. To schedule a test session, please contact the JSU Testing Center at (256) 782-5475 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Location- 140 Daugette Hall (moving soon to Houston Cole Library).
- Webcam Check Out - A limited number of USB webcams are available for short-term check out through the JSU Houston Cole Library.
The JSU Houston Cole Library offers a number of services to the JSU community. Many library services are available online.
JSU online students also have access to the Alabama Virtual Library which provides online access to essential library and information resources. It is primarily a group of online databases that have magazine, journal, and newspaper articles for research. Access the AVL at http://www.avl.lib.al.us/ For information on accessing the AVL from outside Alabama, see AVL Connection Information
Webcam Check Out - A limited number of USB webcams are available for short-term check out through the JSU Houston Cole Library.
General Library Info:
Call JSU Library at (256) 782-5758
email Library- email@example.com
Location- Main JSU campus, on Pelham Road across from Angle Hall main administrative building.
As a JSU Online student, you have access to all services and events as all JSU students. In order to attend events or utilize some on-campus services, you will need a student ID. For information on receiving an ID, see Student ID Card.
Complete an application for undergraduate or graduate admissions. The academic calendar includes registration schedules, semester schedules and other information. (Distance education courses follow the same calendar as regular on-campus classes).
Call Financial Aid- (256) 782-5268 (undergraduate) or 5348 (graduate)
email Admissions- firstname.lastname@example.org (undergraduate) or email@example.com (graduate)
Website- http://www.jsu.edu/undergraduate and http://www.jsu.edu/graduate
Location- 110 Angle Hall (undergraduate) or 320 Angle Hall (The Graduate School)
JSU career services assists students in preparing for the workplace. Services include job postings, resume critiques, and mock interviews.
Costs and Fee Payment
Tuition and fees maybe different for online classes. Check the current rates at tuition, fees, etc. For more information, contact the Bursar's office.
Counseling is available for JSU students, faculty, and staff. Individuals can call to make an appointment or fill out our Request for Service form.
The mission of Disability Support Services (DSS) is to facilitate appropriate and reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities.
Call Disability Support- 256-782-8380
Location- 139 Daugette Hall
Most students receive some form of financial aid. The Office of Financial Aid will assist you with any concerns or questions you may have about the financial aid process. See the Financial Aid FAQ Hints page for question which have been answered.
Military and Veterans
The Military & Post Traditional Student Services office assists veterans and their dependents with receiving benefits under various federal and state programs. This office ensures that proper paperwork is completed, certified, and filed with the VA so that payment dispersal can begin.
You may register online through the MyJSU portal system. Go to the Registration Information page for the most recent information regarding online registration.
You may register through the MyJSU portal system. Go to the Registration Information page for the most recent information regarding online registration.
To find online courses, go to the Interactive Class Schedule. After selecting the appropriate semester, search for online courses by choosing "Online 100% online" as the Schedule Type. Choose any other search parameters. Submit your search.