Frequently Asked Questions

You should be an admitted student and complete the Disability Resources Request for Services form. We also need you to provide documentation of your disability from a medical or mental health provider.

Disability Resources talks with each student individually and gathers information about their medical and educational history. A student may be eligible for reasonable accommodations even if they did not use them in high school.

Disability Resources will provide screenings and refer to local resources for testing and evaluation.

All students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( JSU also offers scholarship opportunities and students with disabilities may be eligible for financial assistance through their state department of rehabilitation services.

Register with Disability Resources and submit documentation of your disability. Disability Resources will coordinate with University Housing and Residence Life to work out any needed accommodations.

Please call (256) 782-8380 and let us know if you have any concerns about physical accessibility on campus. Disability Resources works with Capital Planning and Facilities to identify and address concerns about physical accessibility.

JSU offers jsuRIDE. Visit the jsuRIDE website for more information.

Students are zoned according to their housing assignment. Commuters are assigned to the silver zone. Each building has accessible parking spots near accessible entrances. Students should register their vehicle and display their parking decal along with their state issued placard. University Police will issue a JSU disability access placard to be displayed in addition to the state-issued designation.

Disability Resources does not offer sign language classes at this time, but our staff may be able to direct you to classes offered in the region.

JSU does not provide personal services for students or visitors.

JSU does not provide personal services, but can direct students to resources for O&M training.


Please submit the Request for Interpreting/Captioning Services form

Disability Resources prefers that each student pick up their IPP’s in the office at the beginning of the semester so that they can communicate with their instructors about how the accommodations will be delivered. Disability Resources can email IPP’s to the student and/or instructor if needed.

Disability Resources prefers to talk to students, but we can speak with your parents if you have noted permission on the Request for Services form.

Colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations that may be necessary for equal access to education. Each student has the right to choose to register with Disability Resources and to determine which classes they utilize their accommodations. The student is responsible for communicating with their professors and the Disability Resources each semester, in regard to reasonable accommodations. Professors are not required to modify curriculum or alter deadlines. They are not required to change exam content. Students are responsible for understanding and following the course syllabus.

Receiving services from Disability Resources will not be noted on the academic transcript. Records are kept securely in the Disability Resources office.

You may contact a Disability Resources staff member or Sean Creech, Director of Disability Resources at or (256) 782-5264. Mr. Creech’s Office is located in the Student Success Center on the 2nd floor of the Houston Cole Library. You may also contact Dr. Timothy B. King, Associate Vice President of Student Success at or (256) 782-5020. Dr. King’s office is located in the lobby of the Library. The ADA Compliance Officer is Ms. Elizabeth Morrow, 120 Salls Hall, (256) 782-5282. Ms. Morrow's email is