A perfect event doesn’t guarantee a packed house. For that, you’ll need a little publicity! What better place to share your event details than on the JSU homepage, through the campus calendar?
After a lengthy review of many college calendars, in Fall 2017 JSU purchased a popular calendar management system called Trumba. This calendar system makes promoting your event as easy as using the "Submit an Event" button on the main calendar page. All JSU organizations and departments are strongly encouraged to contribute their JSU-sponsored events to this central calendar.
(Please note: To be considered for inclusion in the campuswide "Red & White" weekly newsletter produced by the JSU Office of Public Relations, events must first be submitted to the online events calendar. Please note that submission of the Office of Public Relations' online news request form does not place your event on the campus calendar!)
Beyond being fast and user-friendly, there are many features that make JSU's calendar sing. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Images and expanded descriptions- This is your chance to sell your event! Make your entry stand out through details and imagery
- Links- Drive traffic back to your website or to your social media page by including a link with your calendar submission
- QR Code- Download your event’s QR code image and use it on printed promotional materials. When mobile users scan the code, they can view your event on the web, share it, and even add it their device’s calendar
- Easy event management- When you submit your event, you are emailed a confirmation message containing a link that allows you to manage your event details (changes/cancellations)
Viewing and Sharing Events
- Social sharing- With one click, you can share an event on your social channels
- Subscription- Get a weekly email digest of upcoming JSU events, an RSS feed, or add the JSU calendar to your preferred calendar software on your device
- Reminders- Want to be reminded of a specific event or notified if it changes? Trumba can email or text you updates
- View options- Filter by category, search for events by keyword or type, and choose how you want the calendar displayed
- Permalink- Each event has a specific URL for easy sharing
More visitors will see your event on the JSU calendar than through an embedded calendar or a listing on your individual department website.
Put your announcements where their eyes are looking. Showcase your event on the JSU event calendar!
The JSU campus calendar is not to be confused with the university’s academic calendar, which resides on the Registrar’s website. The campus calendar is reserved for public events taking place at certain times, on certain dates, at actual locations, preferably on campus.
All events appearing on the JSU campus calendar must be sponsored by an official JSU entity. This applies to schools, departments, and organizations.
The campus calendar is not an appropriate avenue for promoting application or sign-up periods. It will not be used to promote scheduled meetings of small, exclusive groups or organizations. (Examples: Chapter meetings for Greek organizations, departmental meetings)
Exceptions to this are the Homecoming and SGA elections, which are conducted online, are open to all students, and take place within a very specific time period.
Event submissions will be verified before they are added to the calendar. Submitters must provide a JSU email address AND a phone number when submitting events.
It is highly recommended that event organizers place contact information in the “Description” field of the event submission form. Contact information entered in the “Contact,” “JSU Email,” and “Phone #” fields on the event submission form is considered private and will be used only by calendar administrators to verify submitter identity and information for internal purposes.
The use of expanded descriptions and images is recommended because it helps your event get better exposure. For images, square-cropped images work best (400 px square is ideal!), as do images that don’t contain a lot of text. Photos are for decorative purposes only; they are not clickable. Do not rely on your photos to deliver your event information; they are small and text will be illegible. Submit only photos owned by JSU or you. Inappropriate, copyrighted or unsuitable photos will be removed.