We would like to thank you for your interest in the David L Walters Department of Music scholarship opportunities!
Be sure to read through the information for the area you are interested in auditioning.
Scholarship Application Website
All Music Scholarship Auditions Dates:
- Friday, February 3, 2023
- Saturday, February 4, 2023
- Friday, February 10, 2023
- Saturday, February 11, 2023
All Auditions will be held In-Person, Feb 3rd and Feb 10th, in Mason Hall Room 107.
Jazz Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate an aptitude and desire to participate in the Jazz Studies Program. Students receiving a Jazz Scholarship are required to participate in JSU Jazz Ensembles and JSU Jazz Combos as needed.
Anyone who is interested in auditioning for Scholarships to the JSU Jazz Studies program must complete an application through the JSU Website Scholarship Page, https://www.jsu.edu/finaid/scholarships/, and contact me directly at email@example.com.
For all music scholarship information, go to: https://www.jsu.edu/music/scholarships/·
Be prepared to play:
- All Major and Minor Scales
- Sight-Read a selection picked by Jazz Faculty
- Play the Melody and Improvise (at least one chorus) any two of the following Jazz Standards, using Aeborsold or the Ireal Pro app, in contrasting styles:
- Now's The Time
- Blue Monk
- Billies Bounce
- Straight No Chaser
- There Will Never Be Another You
- Green Dolphin Street
- There Is No Greater Love
- All of Me
- Autumn Leaves
- Just Friends
- Yardbird Suite
- My One and Only Love
- Maiden Voyage
Piano Scholarship Audition Requirements:
- Perform two contrasting piano pieces from the standard repertoire. Pieces must be played by memory.
- Demonstrate your current knowledge of chords and scales.
- Sight-read a short piece of music.
- Students should bring their music to audition for the judges.
Piano scholarship auditions will be held in Mason Hall's Recital Hall. For more information, contact Dr. Wendy Freeland.
Vocal Area Scholarship
Please contact Dr. Nathan Wight via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you may have.
- Complete the online Scholarship Application.
- Sing two contrasting selections from the classical music repertoire (no musical theater). Both selections must be sung from memory. Please choose music that shows your voice at its best, something you like to sing and feel comfortable performing. We are listening for vocal quality, expressiveness, musical competence and, above all, potential. You must sing with piano accompaniment.
- You will be scheduled for an interview. During the interview, the voice faculty will get to know you better and may ask you to sing a short sight-reading/ear-training exercise. If you have a list of songs you have previously studied, feel free to share it with us. We look forward to having you join us as a future Gamecock!
All auditions for the Show Choir email Dr. Renée Baptiste for more information.
- Friday, Feb.3 - Dance Auditions 11:15-12:15 (Mason Hall Recital Hall, Rm. 350); Voice Auditions immediately afterwards.
- Friday, Feb. 10 - Dance Auditions from 11:15-12:15 p.m. (Mason Hall, Recital Hall, Rm. 350); Voice Auditions immediately afterwards.
- Saturday, Feb. 11 - Dance Auditions from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (Mason Hall, Band Room, Rm. 320); Voice Auditions immediately afterwards.
Contact Dr. Renée Baptiste: email@example.com
Scholarship Application Website
Suggested Music, Audition Materials and Requirements