J-1 Scholars are part of the Exchange Visitor Program through the U.S. Department of State. This program allows JSU to host international scholars from partner institutions who are interested in educational and cultural experiences at Jacksonville State University.
The exchange of professors and research scholars promotes the exchange of ideas, research, mutual enrichment and linkages between research and academic institutions in the United States and foreign countries.
The professor category is for a foreign national who enters the United State for the primary purpose of teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting at accredited post-secondary academic institutions, museums, libraries or similar types of institutions. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsoring organization.
This category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with research projects at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. A research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor. The research scholar or professor’s appointment to a position shall be temporary, even if the position itself is permanent.
Incidental lectures or short-term consultations are permitted with the approval of the responsible officer so long as they are directly related to the objectives of the participant’s program, and do not delay the exchange program’s completion date.
If the department is interested to sponsor J1 Scholars, they must follow the steps below:
Sponsors are required to:
- Review J-1 Scholar Handbook.
- Screen and select qualified foreign nationals to further education, research and exchange initiatives;
- Complete Department Proposal Form. Email email@example.com for the step-by-step instructions on accessing and completing the Departmental Proposal Form.
- Monitor the visitor’s stay in the United States, ensure that they are progressing in the work being performed or the research being conducted; and
- Ensure that they are involved in cross-cultural programs where they can learn about the United States and its people.
Sponsors must ensure the following for the J-1 Scholars:
Academic credentials and Language Proficiency: The department will need to verify that the nominated J-1 Scholars have the education and credentials necessary to carry out the activity for which they are entering the United States and that they have sufficient proficiency in the English language to function in an English-speaking environment.
Compliance: The department will be responsible to ensure the professor/researcher fulfills the responsibilities listed on their offer letter and that the professor/researcher is exposed to the U.S. cultural experiences.
Participants Need: The department will need to determine the needs of the nominated J-1 Scholar, and whether or not those needs can be met. This may include:
- Access to classroom facilities associated with the research, time with faculty, access to materials, etc.
- Office space, office supplies, etc.
- On-campus/off-campus housing,
- Access to library, gym, and other offices on campus
- Transportation to and from the airport and transportation within Jacksonville
While the department is not responsible to provide everything, it would need to be made known to the nominated J-1 Scholar what JSU can and cannot provide and the nominated J-1 Scholar must accept this before arriving to avoid any issues that can affect the University.
J-1 Scholar/Researcher Application form: The department will be responsible to ensure the nominated J-1 Scholar reviews J-1 Scholar Handbook and completes the Application Form. Link with user ID and temporary password will be sent automatically to the nominated J-1 Scholar once the department completes their form. The nominated J-1 Scholar will need to access the link and complete the application form online.
International House & Programs must receive following documents to be able to issue DS2019.
- Department Proposal form
- J-1 Scholar/Researcher Application form
- Offer Letter from department stating funding amount in US dollar and appointment period (exact start date and end date) or proof of funding resources from the participant.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Copy of Passport
To provide documentation of English proficiency, JSU accepts any of the following verifications:
- IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, or iTEP scores
- Personal interview (face-to-face or electronic)
- Certificate of completion of English study
- Verification by JSU colleague
- Appropriate alternate means of verification.
J-1 Scholar/Researcher must report to the International House & programs as soon as they arrive on campus. They must bring:
- Offer Letter from department
J1 records must be validated within 30 days from the start date listed on DS-2019. For validation, J1 Scholar/Researcher must submit the following information to the International Student and Scholar Portal.
- Proof of Insurance (must be covered for the duration indicated on DS-2019) https://www.isoa.org/Jacksonville_State_University
- Email address
- Physical address in U.S
- Telephone number