Current/Future International Students FAQs

About Jacksonville

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.8 square miles (25.5 km2)

We have 60+ countries represented at JSU. It is most likely that you will find students from your country here at JSU.

International Students by Country

Jacksonville State University is located in Jacksonville, Alabama. A city in the Northeast region of Alabama. It is about 1& ½ hour away from Atlanta, Georgia.

Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 34°F (1°C) to 89°F (32°C) and is rarely below 20°F (-6°C ) or above 95°F (35°C). It tends to be humid during the summer and part of fall semester making it seem hotter.

  • Jacksonville do not have public transportation. However, JSU offers a JSURide services for students to get to grocery stores, pharmacy and banks. JSU also offers airport pick up and drop off shuttle from and to Atlanta International Airport during pre-determined dates. Occasional trips to Birmingham and Atlanta are scheduled at least once a semester in Fall and Spring.
  • Other transportation options that are not sponsored or endorsed by JSU for travel to and from airport are listed below:


For shorter breaks- Spring break, Thanksgiving Break

  • Up to 1-2 weeks minimum for shorter breaks such as spring break or fall break. For longer breaks such as winter or summer, up to 1 month ahead of time is best.

For longer breaks- Summer break, Christmas break

Greyhound bus station in Anniston, AL provides trips to Atlanta airport in Georgia daily. The prices vary depending on how far ahead you book a ticket.


We cannot guarantee that the cost will be same next year but JSU is known for one of the lowest tuition rates in the area.

Cost Calculator

  • Select out of state

Tuition Per Credit Hours- Student Account Webpage 

$35.00, however, the fee is automatically waived for students working with a JSU-Approved Recruitment Agency.

International Students are not eligible for financial aid. However, there are many scholarship opportunities available for international students.

Yes, the International Application Deposit is a $100 deposit an admitted student pays before an I-20 is issued to an F-1 International Student for the term the student was accepted into. This deposit will be credited to the student’s account after payment by the drop/add deadline. Learn more on the international application deposit webpage.


  • Undergraduate Freshman are required to live on-campus for at least a year. The Office of International House and Programs strongly recommends international students to live on-campus to experience American campus life and make connections that may end up lasting your lifetime.  Living on-campus is also the safest option. 

Whether living alone or with friends or family, some students find it is beneficial to leave campus each day and unwind away from school pressures, while others want to be as connected as possible. For those wanting to live off-campus, you need to consider following,

  • Renting Alone, for students who are very focused on their studies or who need quiet time away from the hustle and bustle, living alone can be a very attractive option, however, it can also be an expensive one.
  • Renting a Room, students who want to move off-campus but don’t have the funds to live alone often find a room in an existing house.
  • Renting with roommates: After living on campus for a year, students have met people from classes or extra-curricular activities and may want to live with them rather than being randomly assigned a roommate. Getting a place off-campus with friends or acquaintances can be a great first step into adulthood.

Arrangements for off-campus housing is solely the responsibility of the student. International House and Programs can provide phone numbers and addresses of nearby apartments for rent. Off-campus housing arrangements can only be made upon arrival therefore, the student should be prepared to stay in a hotel while searching for off campus apartments.

It is important that you understand the legal responsibilities of renting in the U.S. You should always see an apartment before signing a lease, and most apartment managers will require a 12-month lease.

Jack Hopper Dining Hall, TMB Food Court, Jazzman’s Cafe, WOW! Cafe and more are just some options.

Check out some of our living options on our Housing website.

Academics and Admissions

  • See: Academic Calendar
  • New International Students must arrive at least a day before mandatory international orientation date.

The class size varies depending on the classes that you take. Generally, the introductory classes have larger size whereas major specific courses have smaller size. So, on average the class size is small (approximately 18 students in a class).

Yes, you can declare a double major; but you need to consult with your academic advisor before making that decision or any decision regarding your major. Once you have successfully updated your major, you must inform the Office of International House and Program to update your I-20. This must be done within 10 days of such update. 

You may not be able to drop classes if you are enrolled in minimum required hours. You must contact your Academic advisor and the Office of International House and Programs before dropping any classes since it can adversely affect your immigration status.

Undergraduate: Full-time international students are required to take at least 12 credit hours per semester. On top of that, at least 9 credit hours should be either of the in-class type or the hybrid-class and other 3 credit hours could be online. All the information regarding classes would be debriefed on international student orientation day.

Graduate: Full-time international students are required to take at least 9 credit hours per semester. On top of that, at least 6 credit hours should be either of the in-class type or the hybrid-class and other 3 credit hours could be online. All the information regarding classes would be debriefed on international student orientation day.

Note: Generally, each class is of 3 credit hours, which means you should take at least 4 classes per semester.

We highly recommend downloading MyJSU mobile app. It is a free app available on both Google and Apple Store to download. It consists of all the information about classes, class buildings, and classroom. Also, it has a map via which you can pinpoint the building locations.

Note: Global Ambassadors (GLAs) are always here to help you, so if you have any trouble finding the classrooms, please let GLAs know so that we could help you.

You must meet with your academic advisor to get cleared to register for classes. Once you are clear, you can register for your classes online via your MyJaxState account. In your MyJaxState portal, there is a link called registration where you can apply for your classes.

Note: Global Ambassadors will be helping to register classes.

International Admissions - Undergraduate

International Admissions - Graduate

For program specific information, please refer to each department’s webpage.

JSU Degree Listing

Yes, you may be able to transfer college courses. You will need to submit a Course-by-Course evaluation report on any international coursework completed at the College/University level. There must be translated to English language. JSU accepts transcript evaluated by any NACES member agency.

Transfer students are required to present one official transcript from each regionally accredited institution previously attended.

International Admissions - Undergraduate - Scroll down to Transfer section.

HS transcripts and test score must be submitted to the Office of International House and Programs. Test score must be sent directly by the testing center.

International Admissions - Undergraduate

Following are the English language requirements to study in JSU,





ACT Score

SAT Score




18 composite (at least 14 in English subtest)

960 composite (at least 19 on critical reading subtest)






JSU accepts PTE, iTEP scores as well. You can get more information in the link below:

English Proficiency Information

Note: TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) are English Proficiency exams.  ACT (American College Testing) and SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) are standardized test for college admission. TOEFL is an alternative to IELTS and vice versa. Also, ACT is an alternative to SAT and vice versa.

Following are the official links for TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, and SAT respectively,

TOEFL link:

IELTS link:

ACT link:

SAT link:

Other Important Information

Normally, you will need JSU ID, passport, I20/DS2019, physical address and minimum balance as per the bank’s policy. Each bank has their own policies on the type of account you may qualify for and the minimum balance you will need to deposit. The closest back from JSU is Regions Bank.

You need to be in the country for at least 10 days and enrolled in classes. Follow the process in the link below

Current Students - Scroll down to Letter for Driver’s License.

You need to file a police report right away. You can do so with the University Police department on campus. You will then need to contact your country’s embassy in the United States for replacement.

Every international student and their dependents (including spouses and children of all ages) are required to file their taxes if they were in the US during the previous calendar year.

You will need to make sure that you have Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) before you can file for taxes. Social security number will be issued only if you have on-campus job.

If you do not have Social Security number but had received scholarship in exclusion of tuition, fees and books scholarships the prior calendar year, you will need to file Form W-7 which is an Application for an ITIN for tax filing purpose. Please be advised that we are not qualified to advise you on process of filing taxes; however, we can help you with the process of filing ITIN number. Once you get the number, you will need assistance from tax preparer to file for taxes. 

You will need to bring to the International House and Programs, the following documents for us to issue the letter authenticating your identity and certificated copies of your documents.

  • Photocopy of your Passport
  • Photocopy of your visa
  • Photocopy of your I20/DS-2019
  • Admission or scholarship award letter

Here’s the link to detailed information on filing for ITIN:

You can pay for the express mailing fee so that new I20 with signature can be sent to you. If you need to request the I20 with signature, email, your name, SEVIS ID number and request for travel I20 to

You may call the CBP (US Custom and Border Protection) Info Center


  • You should have proper student visa to come and study in the United States.
  • You must be prepared to pay for health insurance from the JSU approved insurance provider. No exceptions are allowed. Health insurance cost ranges from $90.00 a month to $120.00 a month.
  • Stay connected with your family. Plan ahead on ways you are going to use to stay in touch with your family. With internet and smartphones, staying in touch has become much easier now. There are apps like whatsapp, skype, facebook messenger, google hangouts, viber etc. that you can use.
  • Follow instructions from the Office of International House and programs and plan your travel accordingly.
  • Arrange for accommodation prior to you leaving your country.
  • Read Pre-Arrival Guide

Link below is a good resource for your to learn about phone and sim resources.