JSU's Supplemental Instruction (SI) Program is accredited by the International Center for Supplemental Instruction! This credential is a testament to the SI team's hard work and dedication to providing quality academic support to students. We invite you to click the link to learn more about the International Center for Supplemental Instruction and how its accreditation will benefit JSU's SI Program.
Library, 2nd Floor
- Supplemental Instruction (SI), was created at the University of Missouri-Kansas City by Deanna C. Martin.
- A non-remedial approach to learning that supports students toward academic success by integrating “what to learn” with “how to learn.”
- SI consists of regularly scheduled; voluntary, out-of-class group study sessions driven by students’ needs.
- Sessions are facilitated by trained peer leaders who utilize collaborative activities to ensure peer-to-peer interaction in small groups.
- SI is implemented in high-risk courses in consultation with academic staff and is supported and evaluated by a trained supervisor.
- SI Leaders are “near peers”.
- SI Leaders are students themselves who have taken the class before and earned a high grade in the course. Faculty typically recommends the Leaders who facilitate the SI sessions. SI Leaders undergo a vigorous training process.
- SI Leaders are prepared to share with students how to effectively study for the course.
- SI Leaders attend the same class sessions with the students, taking notes and listening closely to the professor. The SI Leader is supervised by the program coordinator.
- What Are SI Leaders (SILs)
- Check the SI schedule on the Student Success Page
- Your SI Leader will provide you with the session's location
- SI Sessions are drop-in, no need to schedule an appointment
- Have and maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or above
- Received a grade of “A” or “B” in the course you wish to lead SI
- Submit an application
- Obtain a recommendation from a JSU faculty member in the designated subject area you are wishing to be an SI Leader
- Contact SI Coordinator once you have submitted your application
- Be able to flexibly work up to 15 hours per week
- Earn $12 per hour