- If your purse or backpack is snatched, don't fight it. There is nothing in it that can't be replaced. It is not worth possible injury.
- Avoid walking alone whenever possible.
- Be alert when you're alone. Be aware of who is around you.
- Walk confidently, directly, and at a steady pace. Attackers look for someone who appears vulnerable.
- Walk near the curb; avoid shrubbery or other places of concealment.
- Avoid isolated or poorly-lit and unpopulated areas like alleys, vacant lots, or buildings.
- Do not hitchhike.
- Be careful when people in a car stop and ask you for directions. Always reply from a distance; never get too close to the car.