Center of Excellence
The National Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) program provides 4-year colleges and graduate-level universities the opportunity to be designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance (IA) Education. To receive this designation, Jacksonville State University's computer science department must pass a rigorous review demonstrating its commitment to academic excellence in IA education.
Benefits of NSA Center of Excellence Designation
- Publicity and Visibility: JSU will receive "formal recognition from the U.S. government [...] for their role in securing our nation's information systems."
- Scholarships: JSU students will be eligible to apply for scholarships and grants through the Department of Defense Information Assurance Scholarship Program and the Federal Cyber Service Scholarship for Service Program (SFS).
- Distinction: JSU will join only 3 other universities in Alabama (Auburn University, University of Alabama in Huntsville, and University of South Alabama) that have been designated as NSA Centers of Academic Excellence. Likewise, JSU's information assurance program will be competitive with the following regional universities:
- Clark Atlanta University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Kennesaw State University
- Southern Polytechnic State University
- Mississippi State University
- Fountainhead College of Technology
- University of Memphis
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Funding and Employment Opportunities: JSU will be assigned a Senior Executive Academic Liaison (SEAL) from the Information Assurance Directorate of the National Security Agency. The SEAL will communicate with JSU to identify areas of mutual research and development interest and identify potential employees.
CAEIAE Designation Process
CAEIAE designation is a two-part process. First, the institution must have its coursework certified under the Information Assurance Courseware Evaluation Program. This program assesses the degree to which information assurance coursework maps to the national standards set by the Committee on National Security Systems ( CNSS).
This part of the process was completed August 31, 2008. Jacksonville State University's coursework mappings are made available below for standards NSTISSI-4011 and NSTISSI-4013.
Center of Excellence Application
Once the certification of coursework is completed, the application for CAEIAE designation can be submitted. This application must demonstrate how JSU meets each of the ten program criteria. This part of the process was completed on January 15, 2009. The application, along with supporting letters, is made available below.
- NSA Center of Excellence application
- ABET accreditation letter and enclosure
- SACS accreditation letter
- Dean certification letter for faculty responsibilities and teaching loads
- Dean letter of intent
- Gadsden State Community College letter of support