Why Study Abroad
- Learn about the world: Jacksonville is a great place, but the world is so much bigger. Travel broadens your horizon and gives you a chance to learn the things you never knew.
- Become more independent: A study abroad program involves a lot of preparation and planning. You will have plenty of support from the Office of International House & Programs, but you will still have to do many of these things by yourself.
- Learn to adapt: Traveling teaches you to be adaptable: there are always things like flight delays, crowded public transportation, or museums closed for restoration that get in your way. You will learn how to handle problems like these and see them as minor setbacks instead of disasters, which will help you handle your future troubles, big or small, with grace and composure.
- Improve your resume: Students who participate in study abroad programs are appealing to employers: they know you can adapt to new situations, accomplish long-term goals, and cooperate with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Improve your graduate school applications: Graduate schools are looking for students who are committed to learning and are interested and invested in their chosen field. Students who participate in study abroad programs have proven they have these qualities, and that they are capable of the hard work and dedication required to successfully complete a study abroad program.
- Make new friends: You’ll get to know people from all over the world, and you’ll find out that some of them are your new best friends.
- Have fun traveling the world: Study Abroad programs are about learning, but they are also about travel and adventure. It might be intimidating, but it’ll all be worth it when you realize how many good stories you have to share.
- Learn a new language: Whether you spend years perfecting your accent or you only learn to say hello and goodbye, studies have shown that learning new languages improves your mind.