The College of Health Professions and Wellness, Department of Respiratory Therapy at Jacksonville State University was started at the request of area Respiratory Directors. They need graduates trained to enter the clinical workforce. In September 2015, JSU received approval from the Alabama Commission on Higher Education to award a Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy. In November 2015, an “Approval of Intent” to start the accreditation process with The Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) was granted. Provisional accreditation was awarded in July 2017. In Fall 2017, our program *admitted the first class to the traditional program and graduated the first class in Spring 2019.
Our faculty are dedicated to providing a high quality, cost efficient program to train students to become competent, professional, advanced-level respiratory therapists. This program is designed to prepare graduates with the knowledge, skills and behaviors expected by employers of Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRTs). Our goal is to prepare leaders for the field of respiratory care by including curricular content that includes skills in management, education, research, and advanced clinical practice.
- Only baccalaureate respiratory therapy program in Northeast Alabama
- Small cohort size allows for better student-teacher interaction
- Students will be *admitted each Fall semester
- Brand new facilities built specifically for this program
- Designed to prepare students to take the national credentialing exams
- Designed to provide students with knowledge needed to meet employer expectations for Registered Respiratory Therapists
*The term "admitted" refers to assessment of select criteria for upper division coursework as defined in the JSU Undergraduate catalog.
- All applicants must have an ACT score on file. The ACT test must be completed within 5 years of the application deadline. JSU has ACT score guidelines for admission to the university as a freshman student but those policies for admission to JSU are unrelated to the subsequent use of the ACT for admission to the upper division Respiratory Therapy program. A minimum ACT of 18 (composite) or a 960 on the SAT is required to apply.
- Applicants for admission to upper division Respiratory Therapy must be admitted to Jacksonville State University. (Visit Our Office of Admissions)
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended must be provided to the Jacksonville State University Admissions Office
- Completion of all prerequisite courses with "C" or better
- Minimum 2.50 GPA on core requirement courses
- Each student's record will be reviewed as a basis for acceptance*
- Students for whom English is not their native language must present TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) completed within four years and meet the Department of Nursing TOEFL standard of: 560 for TOEFL written (paper-based), 220 for TOEFL CBT (computer based), or 83 for iBT (internet based).