Chemistry and Geosciences
Chemistry and Geosciences is one of the most diverse and dynamic of all the departments at Jacksonville State University. We offer a bachelor of science degree in Chemistry and Geography. A master's degree in Geographic Information Science and Technology and also offer minors in Chemistry, Geography and Physics.
We have a long tradition of excellence in teaching, dedication to our students and a solid background in state-of-the-art research. Students wishing to study in Chemistry and Geosciences can be assured that they will receive a broad-based, quality education that will serve them well throughout their careers.
Geography Colloquium Schedule 2021-2022
First Friday of every month, 3:00-5:00pm, Martin Hall, room 234
As part of an effort to enhance our department and the work of our graduate students, we are initiating a Geography Colloquium. This is a monthly gathering of all the faculty and graduate students (optional for undergraduate students) to hear about current research in the field, gain professional development experience, and prepare for the field.
Colloquium offers a space for us to collaborate in intellectual explorations as a department and a community of scholars. We will hear lectures by current faculty, scholars in the discipline, and experts from the industry and the field. The department will host a lecture series with guest speakers exploring new and innovative research in geography and other related disciplines. The faculty guests will join us from universities across the world, as well as faculty and guests here at JSU from a range of disciplines. Graduate students nearing the completion of their Masters may also be invited to present their research, with permission of their advising faculty. Special Workshops, aimed at graduate students, will occasionally be presented on topics of funding, human subjects review, library resources and tools, and professional development.
For faculty, staff, and students (with advisor permission) unable to attend in person the colloquium talks will be presented via Teams. The colloquium will be held in secure Teams meeting room and members of the public wishing to attend a talk should contact email@example.com for access to the meeting room.
- August 20, 2021 – Geography Welcome
- September 3, 2021 – Dr. Kathryn Catlin, Jacksonville State University
- September 17, 2021 – Dr. Channing R. Ford, JSU Dean, Graduate Studies
- October 1, 2021 – Dr. Ross Martin, Jacksonville State University
- November 5, 2021 – Carlos Javier Acosta, JSU Career Development Coordinator
- November 19, 2021 - Michael Wetherholt and Lynn Garner, JSU Sponsored Programs
- December 3, 2021 – Dr. Saeideh Gharehchahi, Jacksonville State University
- January 7, 2022 – Dr. Sean Chenoweth, Jacksonville State University, Tentative
- February 4, 2022 - Marjorie Jerez - GIS Specialist, U.S. Forest Service, Tentative
- March 4, 2022 – Dr. Katharine Johnson – North Carolina State University
- April 1, 2022 – Dr. Vicki Brock, Jacksonville State University
- April 22, 2022 – Masters Students Presentations