The David L. Walters Department of Music at Jacksonville State University seeks to provide professional training and promote scholarship among students in the discipline of music. Course offerings lead to the Master of Arts in Music with either a Music Education or General Music Concentration. Students choose between an instrumental or vocal/choral program of study, and engage in activities that nourish both broad and specific educational needs. With a flexible course schedule that provides both evening and summer classes, the JSU Music Department makes a commitment to serve the regional educational community, and helps foster and preserve a high level of musical instruction. A fully-accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music, the music department offers graduate instruction by highly-qualified faculty members with significant professional experience. Small classes and many opportunities for one-on-one instruction create a comfortable and stimulating educational environment.
We invite you to schedule a visit to campus or contact us with any questions, and look forward to helping you further your career in music.
The graduate music programs at Jacksonville State University are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
1. Complete the Graduate Application for Admission.
2. Complete the Graduate Application for Music Study.
3. Submit the Graduate Application for Assistantships, if desired – due February 1st for Fall Semester.
4. Take the Graduate Music Placement Exam – Fall Semester.
5. Take the Graduate Music Placement Exam – Spring Semester.
6. Schedule an Appointment with your:
7. Complete Graduate Application for Comprehensive Exam/Degree.
8. Submit Final Semester Plan after the completion of 26 credit hours.
9. Take Written Comprehensive Exam – 10th week of semester.
Fall: October 26, 2016 and October 28, 2016;
Spring: March 15, 2017 and March 17, 2017
10. Take Oral Comprehensive Exam – week before final week of classes, schedule with Candidate’s Committee.
Fall: November 18, 2016; Spring: April 7, 2017