Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu

Graduate Studies

More Links


To qualify for a graduate assistantship appointment a student must  satisfy the following eligibility requirements:   

  1. Must be classified as a graduate student at JSU
  2. Must not be on academic probation
  3. Must be registered for at least six (6) graduate semester credit hours during a regular semester, or at least six (6) graduate semester credit hours during the summer. 

    An exception to this requirement will be made by the Director of Graduate Studies or the Director's designee, under the following conditions: 
    1. If a student is classified as a graduate student and is required to take undergraduate courses  for the Graduate degree (foundation courses  for the MBA degree, undergraduate deficiencies in education, or foundation courses for Computer  Systems and Software Design program), either a minimum of nine (9) undergraduate hours or  a minimum of three (3) graduate hours and six  (6) undergraduate hours must be taken to qualify for a graduate assistantship. 
    2. If a student has made satisfactory progress toward obtaining the graduate degree and needs fewer than six (6) graduate hours to complete the degree,the student may be considered for an  assistantship.
    3. If a student does not intend to work as an assistant for the entire summer, the student is required to still  take six (6) semester hours during the semesters they  are enrolled. 
  4. Must not be holding another campus job
  5. A graduate assistant is prohibited from accepting, receiving,  or being credited for other forms tuition scholarships from the  university. Scholarships from a source outside of the university  will not be prohibited
  6. It should be noted that the graduate assistantship tuition scholarship may impact on other types, (i.e. Federal programs  of financial assistance).  The graduate assistant will be responsible for determining if there is any impact on eligibility of other financial aid programs.  
  7. If an international graduate student, he/she must be certified by the Director of the International House Program/Foreign Student Advisor to perform duties and receive compensation. 
Back to Top