Dr. Tina Deshotels
Interim Department Head Sociology and Political Science, Professor of Sociology
205B Brewer Hall
- SY 221 Introduction to Sociology
- SY 222 Honor's Introduction to Sociology
- SY 320 Criminology
- SY 322 Juvenile Delinquency
- SY 358 Sociology of Sports
- SY 364 Medicine and Society
- SY 365 Drugs and Society
- SY 427 Understanding Society I
- SY 441 Independent Study
- SY 460 Internship
- Dr. Deshotel's areas of interest are broad but generally fall under the umbrella of Theory, Gender, and Deviance. Her research, teaching and service centers on demonstrating the importance of theorizing explanations of social phenomena using multiple levels of analysis. She is co-author of the book Gendered Power and Exotic Dance: A Multi-level Analysis (Routledge) and Crime and Deviance: Understanding Problems, Constructing Solutions. Dr. Deshotels is active on campus and in the community through work with student and community organizations in particular through guest lectures, workshops, and panels. She is also director for the Northeast Alabama Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) grant to establish a SANE program in Calhoun County. Contact Dr. Deshotels directly to check speaking, panel and/or workshop availability.
Florida State University, Ph.D. Sociology
Major Area: Organizations and Institutions
Dissertation: Engaging a Debate: An Exploration of the Effectiveness of Theories of Engagement and Gender on Explaining Depression in the Nursing Home
Middle Tennessee State University, M.A. in SociologyThesis Naming Sexual Harassment: A Process
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, B.A. in SociologyHonor's Thesis: A Sociological Study of Nude Dancers
- Allen, C., Deshotels, T. H., Donley, S. (2023). #NotHereToo Community Readiness to End Sexual Assault. Journal of Policy Practice and Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42972-023-00082-9
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J., Chen, J., Biggar, Jr., R. W. (2023). Gambling and Drug Use: An Analysis of Risky Behaviors Among Adolescents. Journal of Crime and Criminal Behavior Special Issue: Juvenile Delinquency and Justice, 3(2).
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J., Rider, E. L. (2023). Crime and Deviance: Understanding Problems, Constructing Solutions (pp. 450). Cognella. https://cognella.com/imprints/academic-publishing/
- Forsyth, C. J., Chen, J., Deshotels, T. H., Biggar, Jr, R. W. (2022). A Comparison of the Drug Use and Protective Factors of Rural and Urban Students. Journal of Crime and Criminal Behavior, 2(2), 67-85. https://www.arfjournals.com
- Donley, S., Deshotels, T. H., Shadoan, K. (2022). It's Pride Y’all: Mechanical and Organic Solidarity's Impact On White LGBTQ+ Individuals In The Deep South. Deviant Behavior, 1-18. https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/udbh20
- Deshotels, T. H., McGrath, S. Mid-South Sociological Association Conference Proceedings 2021. Spectrum.
- Forsyth, C. J., Deshotels, T. H., Dotter, D. (2021). Prison Constructions: Comparing Sexual Adaptations of Men and Women while Incarcerated. Journal of Crime and Criminal Behavior.
- Deshotels, T. H. (2021). In Andrew Tatch (Ed.), The State of the Discipline: Challenges and Opportunities. Forum: The Voice of The Mid-South.
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J., Chen, J., Biggar, R. W. (2021). Examining the nexus of carrying a handgun to school: Victimization/not feeling safe or delinquent lifestyle. International Review of Modern Sociology, 47(1-2), 57-71. https://serialsjournals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=387
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2021). Gendered Power Dynamics and Exotic Dance: A Multi-level Analysis. Abdingdon Oxford: Routledge.
- Gay, T., Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2021). Performing Deviance in Front Stage Spaces: Prince Roger Nelson and the Fluidity of Masculinity. Deviant Behavior, 42(1), 1-17. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01639625.2019.1635862
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2019). Sexual Subcultures and On-line Spaces. In Holt T., Bossler A. (Ed.), Palgrave Handbook of International Cybercrime and Cyberdeviance. New York City, New York: Palgrave. https://www.springerprofessional.de/en/sexual-subcultures-and-online-spaces/18055668
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2019). Conjuring, Expanding, and Blurring Boundaries of Sexual Subcultures: The grounding of the fluid. Deviant Behavior. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01639625.2019.1597320
- Deshotels, T. H., Earwood, S., New, B., Fulmer, J., Forsyth, C. (2018). For HE Tells Me So: Techniques of Neutralization Applied to Christian Domestic Discipline. Deviant Behavior. https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/k9RSfDrw4D4MtkZ74pZR/full
- Ross, J., Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2016). Fantasy Objects: The Perception of Safety of Emergency Shelter in Place Kits. Deviant Behavior: An Interdisciplinary Journal/Routledge/Taylor and Francis, 37(6), 692-708. http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/udbh20#.VcOuDbUYEsI
- Deshotels, T. H. (2014). "Peacemaking Criminology". In Craig J. Forsyth and Heith Copes (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Social Deviance (vol. 2, pp. 489-492). Thousand Oaks: CA: Sage Publications. http://knowledge.sagepub.com/view/encyclopedia-of-social-deviance/SAGE.xml
- Deshotels, T. H. (2014). "Queer Theory". In Craig J. Forsyth and Heith Copes (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Social Deviance (vol. 2, pp. 572-575). Thousand Oaks: CA: Sage Publications. http://knowledge.sagepub.com/view/encyclopedia-of-social-deviance/SAGE.xml
- Deshotels, T. H., Hebert, G. E., Forsyth, C. J. (2013). The Declining Criminal Arts: The Pick Pocket. The International Journal of Crime, Criminal Justice and Law/Serials Publication, 8(1-2), 69-76. http://www.serialsjournals.com/editorial-board.php?journals_id=337
- Deshotels, T. H., R. C. (2013). Introduction to "Binders Full of Women: Gendered Identities, Experiences and Institutions". Sociological Spectrum/Taylor and Francis Group LLC/Routledge, 33(5), 391–396. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02732173.2013.818506#.UiMQoD_zqHM
- Deshotels, T. H. (2013). Engendering Depression: Medical and Social Explanations for Gender Differences in Depression. The International Journal of Crime, Criminal Justice and Law, 8(1-2), 1-32. http://www.serialsjournals.com/volumesno.php?volumes_id=667&journals_id=337
- Deshotels, T. H., Derise, C. R., Forsyth, C. J. (2012). "A Relative Comparison of Hate Crimes Over Time.". The International Journal of Crime, Criminal Justice and Law, 7(1-2), 15-20. http://www.serialsjournals.com/articles.php?volumesno_id=719&journals_id=337&volumes_id=666
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J., Tinney, M. (2011). McSexy: Exotic Dancing and Institutional Power. Deviant Behavior/Taylor and Francis, 33(2), 140-148.
- Deshotels, T. H. (2010). In Robert H. Freymeyer (Ed.), Analytic Memo and Student Led Discussions (4th ed., vol. 41, pp. 12-15). Southern Sociological Society. http://www.southernsociologicalsociety.org/assets/TSS.v41/spring10.pdf
- Deshotels, T. H. (2009). Speaking of Sexuality. Yes/Accompany Textbook "Speaking of Sexuality". Oxford University Press.
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2008). Sex Rules: The Edicts of Income in Exotic Dancing. Deviant Behavior/Taylor and Francis, 29(5), 484-500.
- Deshotels, T. H., Savage, J. J., Granger, B. J., Forsyth, C. J. (2008). Perceptions Of Advantages, Disadvantages, and Long Term Effects Of The Open-Adoption Process On Young Adult Adoptees. International Journal of Sociological Issues, 68-78.
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2007). Postmodern Masculinities and the Eunuch. Deviant Behavior/Taylor and Francis, 28(3), 201-218.
- Deshotels, T. H., Forsyth, C. J. (2006). Strategic Flirting and the Emotional Tab of Exotic Dancing.” 21(1) January Deviant Behavior. Deviant Behavior, 21(1).