Post Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice
The Doctor of Nursing Practice is a terminal degree in nursing that prepares Registered Nurses (RNs) and Nurse Practitioners (NPs) to practice at the highest level of the profession. The Post-Master’s DNP track is a leadership track with focus on advanced clinical practice, leadership, informatics and technology, quality indicators and outcomes improvement, and translation of evidence to practice in healthcare delivery. The students in this must have completed a master’s degree with a clinical focus. Students must verify at least 500 clinical hours for admission.
Interested individuals with less than the required 500 clinical hours or those with additional questions may contact the DNP Program Coordinator, Dr. Heather Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Track for nurse professionals who already have an MSN degree with approximately 500 clinical practice hours in the completed master’s program which can be validated in writing by that program administrator. These students may or may not be nurse practitioners, but they must have completed a master’s degree with a clinical focus. The Post-Master’s DNP track is a leadership track with focus on advanced clinical practice, leadership, informatics and technology, quality indicators and outcomes improvement, and translation of evidence to practice in healthcare delivery.
Fall Application Deadline: Application and all admission requirements must be submitted prior to May 1 or until seats are filled.
Pricing structure for DNP programs: JSU Tuition and Fees
*JSU offers distance/online educational programs/tracks; to facilitate a positive learning experience for our students. To achieve this goal, some on campus requirements may be required. On campus events may include, but are not limited to, orientation to programs/tracks, on site simulated learning experiences, and dissemination of scholarly projects.
1. Each applicant must satisfy minimum requirements for admission to graduate studies
2. A completed graduate studies application
3. Official transcript with cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
4. Current unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse in the United States.
5. Current resume or curriculum vitae
6. Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing and Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) from a regionally accredited institution certified by a National Accreditation Agency.
7. Documentation of an MSN degree, with a clinical focus validating 500 clinical practicum hours.
8. Applicants with a master’s degree in nursing with less than 500 clinical practicum hours will be conditionally admitted to the Post-Master’s track and referred to take the Advanced Experiential Clinical Course (AECC) for unconditional admission to the Post-Master’s graduate nursing track.
- The DNP nursing admission committee will conduct a gap analysis to determine the number of AECC course hours (1-5) the student must take to meet the required 500 hours for progression to the residency courses (DNP 796-799).
- Refer to graduate nursing policy I.28.00 Post-Master’s Applicants Requirements NU 531 Advanced Experiential Clinical Course (AECC) for the gap analysis formula.
9. Favorable recommendation from the DNP admissions committee.
Jacksonville State University
College of Health Professions and Wellness | JSU Nursing
Doctor of Nursing Practice Post-Master’s Pathway Plan of Study
Fall Year 1
NU701 Post-Master’s DNP Orientation (0)
NU707 Scientific Underpinnings of Advanced Nursing Practice (3)
NU708 Evidence-Based Practice and Quality Improvement in Health Care (3)
Spring Year 1
NU710 Health Care Policy & Finance (3)
NU711 Biostatistics and Translating Evidence (3)
Summer Year 1
DNP796 DNP Project Planning & Development (3)
NU716 Interprofessional Healthcare and Informatics (3)
Fall Year 2
DNP797 DNP Residency I (210 Practicum Hours) (3)
NU712 Clinical Prevention & Population Health (3)
Spring Year 2
DNP798 DNP Residency II (210 Practicum Hours) (3)
NU713 Organizational and Systems Leadership for APN (3)
Summer Year 2
DNP799 DNP Residency III (210 Practicum Hours) (3)
NU715 Innovative Leadership and Collaboration in Healthcare (3)
State Approval of Online Programs:
We strive to provide quality nursing education to a wide network of current and future healthcare providers. Each state has its own process for approving out-of-state distance education programs. All JSU Nursing programs may not be available in all states. Please contact us for more information about availability of JSU distance education programs in your state. Prospective students considering the RN-BSN, MSN, BSN to DNP or post-Master’s DNP should contact:
Tammy Johnson (email@example.com) (256) 782-8489
*The Doctor of Nursing Practice degree program at Jacksonville State University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.