- Students can maximize their learning experience through a variety of Social Work electives taught each semester in varying formats ranging from face-to-face, online synchronous (meet online as a group with the professor at designated times), and online asynchronous (no designated online class meetings)
- Small class sizes mean you get to know your professors, and they get to know you.
- Opportunities to partner with community agencies and social work professionals through classwork, the field experience, and attendance at social work conferences.
Master of Social Work
The Master of Social Work (MSW) degree provides a high-quality education through academic preparation for graduates to engage in independent, advanced social work practice to address local, regional, and national workforce needs directed toward individual, social, and community improvement.
- The Master of Social Work (MSW) degree program at JSU is an Advanced Generalist Practice degree with a Rural Nonurban Emphasis.
- No GRE is required to apply
- We offer both the traditional 2-year MSW program and the Advanced Standing 1-year program in a hybrid format allowing students to engage in face-to-face classroom experiences and still take part in some classes through an online format.
- Our in-person classes are scheduled for one afternoon and evening a week, allowing students to work and take classes simultaneously.
- Veterans Administration
- Hospital Social Work
- Mental Health Social Work
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Agency Administration
- Correctional Social Worker
- Military Social Work
- Child Welfare Worker
- Adoption Worker
- Juvenile Justice Worker
- Advocacy worker
- Long-term Care Worker/Administrator
- Crisis Counselor
- Life Coach
- Politics, and
- Many More
Median Annual SalaryThe average Master's level salary in the United States is $67,700 as of June 28, 2022, but the range typically falls between $61,238 and $74,688.
*Median annual salaries are from Salary.com
According to SAMSHA, social workers are the largest group pf mental health providers in the United States. The U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs is one of the largest employers of MSW's in the country. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Social Work is on of the fastest growing professions.