When a bomb threat has been received, the University Police Department may issue a directive that all personnel are to evacuate the affected building or area. Such a directive is to be followed promptly to assure the safety of life and property.
- If the threat is by letter or note, protect the written message from handling.
- If threat is by telephone, keep the caller on the line and ask specifics:
• exact location of the bomb
• description of bomb device
• what will make it explode
• how to deactivate it
• time of detonation
• why was it put there
- Analyze the identity of the caller (age, sex, mental condition, tone of voice).
- Listen for background noises that might aid in identifying the location from which the call is originating.
- Record the message word for word and the time the call was received.
- Call the University Police Department at 256-782-6000 and follow their instructions.
- Do not call any other University officials. The Director of Public Safety will make notifications to other University officials.