Adjunct Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award
The Adjunct Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, established in 2022, is a faculty-administered award designed to honor an outstanding adjunct faculty member’s teaching efforts at Jacksonville State University.
This award recognizes an adjunct faculty member who exemplifies the highest quality for the teaching and mentorship of students and whose outstanding achievements have enhanced the JSU community over the previous academic year. Adjunct teachers are partners in our academic programs who supplement the student experience on campus, providing necessary services to their departments and to JSU students. This award seeks to recognize adjunct faculty who have demonstrated a clear dedication to teaching and learning at Jacksonville State University by incorporating innovative classroom strategies, demonstrating outstanding classroom teaching, using technology to enhance learning, and engaging students beyond the classroom. The person selected for this honor will receive a framed certificate recognizing this accomplishment.
Criteria and Eligibility
*Although there are no absolute criteria as to what constitutes adjunct faculty excellence in teaching, the following is a suggested list of criteria expected to be exhibited by an Adjunct awardee.
Adjunct faculty who have taught in the past academic year including fall 2021, spring 2022, and summer 2022
Evidence of teaching excellence beyond the classroom through innovative pedagogical methods
Evidence of effective teaching and student engagement through student evaluations.
- Evidence of high teaching standards and recognition for support of a program by full-time faculty, program coordinators, or department chairs.
A selection committee composed of faculty will review nomination packets. Nominations by students, colleagues, department heads, or deans are encouraged. Only accomplishments during the previous academic year including fall 2021, spring 2022, and summer 2022 will be considered for this award. Nominators should inform nominees that they are being nominated and may solicit their assistance in preparing nomination materials.
Required Nomination Documents
The nomination packet for this award will consist of the following, compiled into one single PDF file in the order indicated. Please contact Faculty Commons if you need assistance compiling documentation into a PDF file.
- One official Letter of Nomination by the nominator(s) advocating the basis for the nomination (relating nominee’s teaching activity to the criteria for the award)
- Up to three additional Letters of Support from internal or external colleagues and students to complement the Letter of Nomination—*No more than three additional Letters of Support will be considered.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae (abbreviated and concise, no more than five pages)—*Contact the nominee’s departmental Administrative Assistant to acquire a CV.
- Supporting documentation may include student reflections, teaching evaluations from students and faculty, papers or presentations that show student engagement, articles on teaching success and effectiveness, etc.
All nominations must be submitted electronically via the Faculty Awards nomination form, linked below, no later than 4:30 PM CST on Friday, February 10, 2023.