General Studies Program
A foundation in the liberal arts is the basis for every university degree. This coursework prepares the student for success in all aspects of life.
JSU’s General Studies Competencies*
Upon graduation, JSU students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to write competently
- Demonstrate knowledge of mathematical concepts
- Understand the role of American citizenship
- Understand the role of science & the scientific method
- Apply critical thinking and reasoning skills
- Demonstrate basic computer skills
- Demonstrate leadership skills
General Studies Requirements
Undergraduate degrees consist of three groups: general studies courses, courses in student's chosen major(s) and/or minor(s) and elective courses for additional academic exploration. The following summary of general studies requirements included in all undergraduate degrees, represent minimum requirements. Specific degree programs and majors may have additional requirements.