The JSU Board of Trustees voted at their April 21 meeting to keep tuition level for 2014-2015. This is in keeping with the commitment the board and university leadership made to our students earlier this year.
At the January 2014 meeting, the board voted to keep tuition level if state appropriations increased. Recently, we learned that JSU would receive $35.5 million from the state, which includes a modest increase of $245,768 over last year. Unfortunately, that increase will be offset by a loss of more than $450,000 due to a $702,000 increase in the cost of employee insurance.
The board must still determine how the university will resolve the difference in the employee health insurance costs. This will be addressed at the July board meeting.
Read Resolution 559 Regarding 2014-2015 Tuition and Fees
In other business, the trustees:
• Heard a presentation by Dr. Rick Davis and Mr. Mark Hopwood of JSU’s Center for Applied Forensics. The Center for Applied Forensics took the place of the state forensics lab at JSU that closed in 2011 and furnishes crime scene processing for law enforcement agencies in Cherokee, Etowah, Calhoun, St. Clair and Cleburne Counties. Additionally, CFAF offers continuing education for the agencies and instructs current JSU students as well as high school students in the latest forensics investigation techniques.
• Postponed action on the proposed recreational zip-line at Little River Canyon Center.
• Were introduced to new SGA executive officers by outgoing SGA President Jade Wagner. New SGA officers in attendance included SGA President Brett Johnson, SGA VP for Student Activities Kalyn Cabral, and SGA Chief Justice Andrew York. Other officers whose finals schedules prevented them from attending are SGA VP of Student Senate Tyler Brown, SGA VP of Organizational Affairs Ariel Tolson and SGA Director of Publicity Courtney Curtis.
• Approved the minutes of the January 27 meeting. (Read them here)
• Received the following reports (click each report to view online):
The next quarterly meeting of the Board of Trustees will be Monday, July 21, 2014 at 10 a.m. on the eleventh floor of the Houston Cole Library.