Distance education courses should be mulitmodal, interactive, and accessible by design. There is a wide variety of software available that may be helpful for meeting this standard when developing courses. For your consideration, we have provided a selected listing below. Some of these tools are available for free, some for individual or departmental purchase, and others through the Office of Educational Technology & Support. Please contact our Office for additional information or for assistance in determining appropriate tools and best practices.
These programs allow for creation of text documents, spreadsheets, and slide presentations.
- Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, or 2010
- Open Office (free)
These tools allow for the creation of audio, video, and screencast content (podcasts) to be distributed in a variety of methods, including through Blackboard or iTunes U.
These tools allow for the creation and/or editing of PDF files, which is a more generally accessible format.
- Adobe Acrobat
- CutePDF (free)
- Microsoft Save as PDF Add-in for Microsoft Office 2007
These tools allow for editing of photos or other images.
- PhotoImpact (Ulead)
- Picasa (free)
- Picnik (free)
These test, pool, and learning activity creation programs provide quick and efficient publication to your Blackboard
- Respondus 4.0 (Tests and Pools) - A campus-wide license is available, which allows faculty to install this software on office and/or personal computers. Installation instructions are located in the DE Faculty Members group in MyJSU.
- The Respondus Test Bank Network contains thousands of test banks for the leading textbooks in higher education. There is no quicker or easier way to create online exams and learning activities from official publisher test banks. With Respondus 4.0, StudyMate Author, or StudyMate Class, instructors select items from test banks for use in exams, self-assessments, learning activities, and games for online courses. Best of all, the Test Bank Network is free for instructors who adopt a participating textbook.
- StudyMate Author (Flash-based Learning Activities) - A campus-wide license is available, which allows faculty to install this software on office and/or personal computers. Installation instructions are located in the DE Faculty Members group in MyJSU.