Each faculty member eligible to be considered for promotion to Distinguished Lecturer will prepare a portfolio for review by his/her department head, dean, the Provost/Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, and the President. All information for the portfolio (Tabs I-V) must be presented in a single approved binder (available, along with tab dividers, in the Office of Provost/VPASA) and must be word-processed in the format noted below. Summary Cover Form and Attachments A-F can be downloaded in Word or PDF.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years at the rank of Instructor at Jacksonville State University.
- Must have a continuous and sustained record of teaching and service equivalent to that required for advancement from assistant to associate professor, for the most recent full five-year period.
- Must have a record of scholarship excellence for the most recent full five-year period equivalent to that expected of someone advancing to the rank of an associate professor.
- Portfolio review will proceed in the same manner as those applying to faculty advancing in other ranks, including a review of the most recent full five-year period.
- Must be recommended by the dean of the college for the rank and approved by the Provost and Vice Presient for Academic and Student Affairs and the President.
- This rank carries a salary adjustment equivalent to the increase provided faculty promoted from assistant professor to associate professor, currently $3,500.
|TAB I||Insert Attachments A-F behind Tab I in the approved binder.|
|TAB II||Insert current CV behind Tab II in the approved binder.|
|TAB III||Insert Teaching Evaluations/Teaching Accomplishments behind Tab III in the approved binder.|
|TAB IV||Insert and label by category (e.g., "Promotion," "Tenure," or "Collegiality") letters of support behind Tab IV in the approved binder.|
|TAB V||Letters from college promotion and tenure committees, where applicable, should be included, as should letters from the department head and dean.|
While the portfolio is limited to the approved binder, additional supporting evidence for accomplishments noted in the portfolio should be more extensive. This additional support should be placed on file in a designated location in the faculty member's college and will be available for review by peers, department heads, deans, and/or the Provost/Vice-President for Academic and Student Affairs.
Additional Documentation for College's Evidence Room(s).
- Supporting evidence may include the following:
- Copies of presentations cited above
- Copies of publications cited above
- Copies of grants, contracts (funded, not funded)
- Evidence of service to the profession, University, community
- Evidence of teaching accomplishments, including syllabi, course notebooks, exams
- Other relevant evidence
- Additional documentation will remain in the College's evidence room until such time as the President and Provost/Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs have approved the candidate's promotion and/or tenure application or until such time that all appeals have been exhausted.
Once the final process is complete and any appeals resolved, the portfolios will be returned to the Dean's office for distribution. Documents in Tab I and Tab V will be retained in the faculty member's file in the Provost/VPASA office.