University Moves to Block Tuition Rate for Full-Time Undergraduates
The JSU Board of Trustees announced April 20 it will implement a block tuition rate effective Fall 2021. Additionally – and for the third consecutive year – the university will not raise undergraduate tuition. The general university fee for undergraduates will also remain unchanged.
The new block tuition rate is intended to encourage students to graduate faster – saving them both money and time.
“We estimate reducing one year of time in reaching graduation can save a student over $15,000 in tuition and $10,000 in room and board,” said Jim Brigham, senior vice president for finance and administration. “Additionally, every year spent on campus instead of in the workforce reduces a student’s potential job earnings.”
On average, JSU students take 5-6 years to complete their bachelor’s degrees as they pursue an average of only 12 credit hours per semester (the minimum required to be considered full-time). Taking one additional 3-hour class per semester each fall and spring – for a total of 15 hours per semester – would enable students to finish in four years. Those who increase their load to 18 hours per semester and/or take classes in the summer could graduate even faster.
The University Budget Committee, which is comprised of a diverse cross-section of JSU faculty, staff and students, made its block tuition rate recommendation to the board based on thorough examination of funding needs for academic programs and initiatives.
With today’s board approval, JSU’s block tuition rate for the 2021-2022 calendar year will be structured as follows:
- Undergraduate freshmen and sophomores taking 1-11 credit hours will continue to be charged $324 per hour (in-state) or $648 per hour (out-of-state) plus fees.
- Undergraduate freshmen and sophomores taking 12-18 credit hours will be charged a block rate of $4,860 for tuition per semester (in-state) or $9,720 per semester (out-of-state) plus fees.
- Undergraduate freshmen and sophomores taking more than 19 hours will be charged the block tuition rate, fees, plus $324 per hour (in-state) or $648 per hour (out-of-state).
- Undergraduate juniors and seniors, both in-state and out-of-state, may opt-in to the new block rate plan upon request.
- The current fee structure will remain in place for all undergraduate tuition plans.
To assist students in adjusting to a heavier course load, JSU’s new Student Success Center will provide free academic success coaching and tutoring.
“The Student Success Center endorses the university's effort to promote timely degree completion and is prepared to assist students through holistic academic support from the first year to graduation,” said Dr. Tim King, vice president for student success.
For more information on JSU’s 2021-2022 block tuition plan, visit www.jsu.edu/blockrate.