Out of concern for public safety, Jacksonville State University has made changes to the Spring and Summer 2020 commencement ceremonies scheduled for July 31 and August 1, 2020.
All ceremonies will now be held outside at JSU Stadium to allow for proper social distancing and ventilation. As a result, the ceremony times have been adjusted to avoid the hottest times of day. The new schedule is as follows:
July 31, 2020
- 9 a.m. – Summer 2020 Undergraduate Ceremony
- 7:30 p.m. – Spring and Summer 2020 Graduate Ceremony
August 1, 2020
- 9 a.m. – Spring 2020 Undergraduate Ceremony for the School of Arts and Humanities, School of Business and Industry, and School of Human Services and Social Sciences
- 7:30 p.m. – Spring 2020 Undergraduate Ceremony for the School of Education, School of Health Professions and Wellness, and School of Science
We understand that these changes may pose an inconvenience to our graduates and their families who have already arranged to attend commencement at previously announced times. We apologize for the frustration this may cause, but ask for your patience and understanding as we work to host ceremonies that will be safer for you, your family, and the JSU community.
GRADUATION SAFETY DETAILS
Everyone in attendance will be required to wear masks. Graduates will be provided a mask at the ceremony and will be distanced from one another on the field and during processional/recessional. Only one row of graduates will rise at a time to go to the stage. Graduates will cross the stage wearing masks. Professional photographers will take photos of graduates onstage, wearing their masks, but will also take photos off-stage without masks before graduates return to their seats.
The number of guests will not be limited. Guests must bring and wear their own masks. Each graduate’s guests should sit together in the stadium and maintain social distance between themselves and other groups of guests. The north, south and east sides of the stadium will be available for seating.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, graduates and guests exhibiting symptoms
, those who have cared for or visited with anyone diagnosed with the illness, those who have pending test results, and/or those who have been quarantined with or without symptoms in the last 14 days are asked to please stay home and enjoy the ceremony on JSU’s Facebook Live event.
Shuttle service will be provided to JSU Stadium from Houston Cole Library, Brewer Hall, and Pete Mathews Coliseum, beginning 2 hours prior to each ceremony and continuing until one hour following the conclusion of the ceremony. On the shuttle, masks will be required, and social distancing will be encouraged.
Although we have moved the ceremonies to the morning and evening to avoid the hottest parts of the day, guests should come prepared for the high temperatures of an Alabama summer. Guests are encouraged to wear hats, sunscreen, and light-colored clothing. Each ceremony is expected to last approximately two hours.
Weather Contingency Plan:
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremonies will be moved back inside Pete Mathews Coliseum. To properly social distance, under this plan, each graduate would be allowed to have only two guests
, who will be provided tickets.
- The Summer Undergraduate Commencement on July 31 would be divided into two ceremonies: 9 a.m., Arts & Humanities, Business & Industry, Education, Human Services & Social Sciences, Science; 11:30 a.m., Health Professions & Wellness. The July 31 Graduate Commencement would take place as scheduled at 7:30 p.m.
- The Spring Undergraduate Commencement on August 1 would be held in six separate ceremonies by school: 8 a.m., Arts & Humanities; 10 a.m., Business & Industry; 1 p.m., Education; 3 p.m., Science; 5 p.m., Human Services & Social Sciences; 8 p.m., Health Professions & Wellness.