JSU to Host Spring Commencement on May 3
Hundreds of students will be awarded degrees at JSU’s spring commencement on Friday, May 3, at 10 a.m. in JSU Stadium.
It will be the first ceremony with new provost Dr. Christie Shelton presiding as mistress of ceremonies. The alumni speaker will be Cheryl Beville-Orange – a FedEx executive from Dallas, Tex., who earned dual undergraduate degrees in computer information systems and marketing from JSU. Respiratory therapy student Emily Manasco will speak on behalf of the graduating class, while nursing student Reyna Ramirez will serve as bell ringer.
Time: The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. Candidates should report to Kennamer Hall, located between Stephenson Hall and the Rec Center, in full regalia by 9 a.m.
Length: The ceremony will last approximately two hours. Once seated, all candidates must remain on the field until the conclusion of the ceremony.
Location: Commencement will be held in JSU Stadium. In the event of inclement weather, a Weather Contingency Plan is in place.
Parking: Graduates and their guests are provided parking throughout campus. A special graduation day parking map is available online.
Shuttles: A free shuttle service will be available from University Circle, Houston Cole Library and Pete Mathews Coliseum starting at 8 a.m. and ending one hour after the ceremony.
Bags: The clear bag policy will be observed in JSU Stadium. Please note camera bags are prohibited.
Accessibility: Accessible parking is available near the stadium and golf carts will provide assistance between these lots. Guests requiring mobile devices may be dropped off at the stadium entrance. ASL interpreting will be provided on stage. Candidates with concerns regarding accessibility or who need any accommodations may contact Disability Support Services at 256-782-8380 (voice or TTY) or email@example.com.
Babies: Strollers and diaper bags are allowed in the stadium. A lactation area is available in a climate controlled environment (for nursing or pumping) from 9:30 a.m. until 30 minutes after the ceremony ends. For access, send a text message to 256-664-1395.
Refreshments: The stadium’s concession stands will be open and selling small snack items, such as candy and soft drinks.
- Mistress of Ceremonies – Dr. Christie Shelton, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Presentation of the National Colors – JSU ROTC
- National Anthem – Adam Mullin and The Jax Statemen
- Invocation – Dr. Derek Staples, senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Jacksonville
- Welcome – President John M. Beehler
- Board of Trustees Welcome – Gale Saxon Main
- Graduating Student Speaker – Emily Manasco
- Alumni Speaker – Cheryl Bevelle-Orange
- Convocation Bell Ringing – Reyna Ramirez
- Conferring of Degrees - School of Arts and Humanities, School Business and Industry, School of Education, School of Health Professions and Wellness, School of Human Services and Social Sciences and School of Science
- Hooding of Doctoral Graduates – Dr. Jeffrey Ryan, head of the Department of Emergency Management, and Dr. Tanveer Islam, Director of the Doctor of Emergency Management Program
- Alumni Remarks – Kaci Ogle, Director of Alumni Relations
- Benediction – Dr. Staples
- Singing of “I’ll Fly Away”