Procedure for Appealing Ineligibility
When a student has been removed from graduate study for failing to meet scholastic or other degree requirements, the student may appeal for readmission. Once the student initiates the appeals process, it may take at least one semester for resolution. The following appeal procedure is available for students who have been declared ineligible to continue as graduate students:
- The student may submit a written request for readmission to the Dean of Graduate Studies. The written request should address the reasons why it would receive favorable action.
- The written request may be a letter sent through the mail, an e-mail from an official JSU email address, or a letter scanned and sent as an attachment from a non-JSU e-mail address.
- Upon receipt of the written request, the Dean of Graduate Studies will consult the Department Chair and Advisor of the student’s major to reach a decision on whether or not the student’s appeal will be granted. The student will be notified of this decision via e-mail.
- If the student’s appeal is not granted, the student may submit a written request to the Dean of Graduate Studies for a meeting with an Appeals Committee. (Please see #2 for the forms the written request may take.)
- Upon receipt of the written request, the Dean of Graduate Studies will schedule the meeting of the Appeals Committee and notify the student of its date, time, and location.
- The Appeals Committee will be appointed by the dean and will be composed of members from the graduate faculty. The committee will be chaired by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- The committee will be provided with all available documents, including the student’s written request for appeal and the student’s undergraduate and graduate course history.
- The student will be afforded the opportunity to attend the Appeals Committee meeting and to provide additional, relevant information in support of his or her request for readmission. This is an administrative hearing and is limited to the committee members, the Dean of Graduate Studies, and the student.
- The student will be notified of the decision made by the Appeals Committee in writing within 14 working days from the date of the meeting with the Appeals Committee. The final decision rests with the committee and is not open to further appeal.