Academic Forgiveness


Occasionally, during a specific semester, students encounter personal, emotional, or financial hardships so devastating that performing academically at a level approximating their usual record of academic achievement becomes impossible. Typically, these students realize their situations in time to take the advisable course of action and withdraw from the university. If that is not done, however, and the student’s grades for the semester are decidedly below that student’s normal record, the student can petition for academic forgiveness. A student may only petition for academic forgiveness after completing two semesters of coursework toward his or her degree. Academic forgiveness may be granted one time and is irreversible; it is applicable to undergraduate deficiency and graduate coursework. There are two options for academic forgiveness:

  1. All coursework taken, even hours completed satisfactorily during the semester for which forgiveness is requested, will be disregarded in the grade point average and as hours earned toward graduation, OR
  2. The student may select only specific courses from one semester to be disregarded in the grade point average and as hours earned toward graduation.


Students may petition for academic forgiveness for only one semester (any fall, spring, or summer term) already completed at the university. This policy was approved and became effective the Fall 2015 semester. Therefore, this policy applies only to those students whose enrollment in graduate courses and subsequent grades occurred in the Fall 2015 semester and thereafter.

Graduate students have six years (ten years for doctoral students) from the time of initial enrollment in the graduate program to apply for academic forgiveness.

Students applying for academic forgiveness must fill out the graduate-level JSU Application for Academic Forgiveness (Contact your Graduate Program Specialist). Once the completed form and the student’s record have been reviewed and approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies, the Registrar’s Office will adjust the academic record and notify the student.

Once granted, academic forgiveness cannot be reversed. Students should be aware that other graduate and professional schools may compute the grade point average to include all hours attempted when considering applicants for admission.


This Academic Forgiveness option is not available to any Nursing graduate students in any of the Doctor of Nursing Practice, Master of Science in Nursing, and Graduate Certificate programs because of the nature of their programs. (Please review the Graduate Certificate Disclosure information.)