Update to Face Covering Requirement - November 18, 2021
Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
Since last updating the campus mask requirement a month ago, the university has continued to see a significant decrease in COVID-19 cases on our campus and in the area, a decrease in local hospitalizations, and a decrease in the number of COVID-19 deaths reported by the state.
Therefore, effective Nov. 29, JSU will further adjust the face covering requirement. Following Thanksgiving Break, masks will be required:
- In classrooms or meetings at the discretion of the responsible faculty or staff member
- In the RMC/JSU Health Center
- On campus sanctioned transportation
- When preparing or serving food
JSU continuously monitors pandemic conditions on our campus and in our region. Our mitigation measures will continue to be reevaluated accordingly. Should active cases increase to a level of concern, we may adjust requirements again as necessary.
The RMC/JSU Health Center will continue to offer COVID-19 testing, vaccines, and vaccine boosters to students, faculty, and staff. The center is open for walk-ins on Monday-Thursday, 8-11 a.m., and by appointment, 1-4 p.m. On Fridays, it's open 8-11 a.m. for walk-ins and by appointment 1-2 p.m. Next week, the center will be open normal hours on Monday-Wednesday, Nov. 22-24, should you need to be seen during the break. Call 256-782-5310 for assistance.
With the holiday season upon us, please remember to practice health and safety measures, including:
- Getting vaccinated for COVID-19 and the Flu, as instructed by your doctor
- Avoiding crowded, poorly ventilated spaces (outdoor events continue to be safer than those held indoors)
- Practicing good handwashing techniques and personal hygiene
- Refraining from attending or hosting a gathering if you are sick or have symptoms
- Getting tested if you have close contact with someone who has COVID-19
Thank you for complying with our COVID-19 protocols this fall. May you have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving Break.
Dr. Don C. Killingsworth, Jr.