Using Bb Connect in courses - Faculty
Instructors may send notifications via SMS or voice messaging to students that have opted-in by providing their contact information within Blackboard Learn. Access the Bb Connect for Courses service by clicking on the Professor Notification Tool in the Course Tools section of your Control Panel. For step-by-step instructions on using the Professor Notification Tool, please click here.
Using Bb Connect in courses - Students
To enable the receipt of messages from your instructors via SMS or voice messaging, please follow these steps:
- Log in to jsu.blackboard.com (Username: the prefix of your @jsu.edu email address. Password: Four digit birth month and day plus last 4 digits of your JSU ID number.
- Click the My Places link at the top of the page.
- On the My Places page, select Personal Information. You can also access Personal Information on the Tools panel.
- On the Personal Information page, select Edit Personal Information.
- On the Edit Personal Information page, include any phone numbers at which you wish to receive voice or text messages.
- Click Submit.
Now, you can choose which courses and actions you wish to receive notification about, and how you want to receive those notifications - via SMS, voice messages, or both.
1. From My Places, click Edit Notification Settings.
2. Under Edit Individual Course Settings, click on the name of the course for which you wish to receive notifications.
3. Check the boxes that correspond to the Notification that you wish to receive (i.e. Test Available) and how you want to receive the notification. You may choose any combination of Email, SMS, or Text-to-Voice.
Alternatively, you can choose Courses I Am Taking under Bulk Notification Settings to apply the same notification settings to all or several courses at once.
Blackboard Connect Campus
The Blackboard Connect campus service provides the ability to reach the JSU community in minutes. Whether it is a time-sensitive situation, event outreach, or attendance notification, everyone can receive critical information in the mode they prefer - voice, text, e-mail, even social media. It is the most efficient way to keep our campus or community more secure, informed, and involved.
By default, all JSU students may receive information in their GEM email account regarding emergency situations on campus, school closures, and other JSU-related events.
Those who supply JSU with a cell phone number will receive an automated introductory text message.
If you would like to define your preferences for using this service, please follow these instructions:
- Go to jsu.bbcportal.com. Click the Sign Me Up link, and enter your Name, JSU Email Address, and choose a Password.
- After you click Continue, you will receive an email with instructions on how to complete sign-up. (Parents can enter their own non-JSU email address, but will be required to enter their student’s JSU ID number).
- After clicking the link in the email, you'll be asked to enter an identification code - enter your Student ID or Employee ID INCLUDING the leading zeros.
- You'll be asked to enter a phone number or email address - Enter your JSU email address
- Click on Edit My Contact Information. From here you can add or edit phone numbers and email addresses, as well as choose whether you want to receive voice calls or text messages for each phone number.
- Select any JSU Groups you would like to receive notifications from by making selections under the Subscriptions tab (JSU Alert is for emergency communications).
Have additional questions? Contact the Office of Distance Education at 256.782.8172 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you no longer wish to receive text messages from JSU, you may text "Stop MyJSU" to 231-77 or 630-79. If you have opted out, but wish to re-subscribe to alerts via text message, text "Subscribe MyJSU" to 231-77 or 630-79.