DISABILITY SUPPORT SERVICES
TEST PROCTORING PROCEDURES
DSS is NOT a testing center. The purpose of DSS is to ensure reasonable academic accommodations are requested for registered students with disabilities.
- DSS proctors exams for students that need to use assistive technology to access and respond to test content. DSS will proctor exams for professors that do not have the time or resources to conduct proctoring. Requests for test proctoring will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Students that do not need assistive technology are required to attempt to work out exam accommodation requests with their professor. If an agreement is not achieved, DSS will then proctor the exam.
Rules of Exam Proctoring for Students
- Students that take examinations at DSS are required to submit an Exam Proctoring Request Form before exams will be proctored. It is imperative that the Exam Proctoring Request Form is complete.
- DSS is NOT responsible for ensuring student exams are delivered to the office at 139 Daugette Hall. It is the student's responsibility with the professor to ensure delivery of exams to DSS.
- DSS cannot grant extensions for exam completion beyond requested accommodations. Students should consult with their professor regarding extensions.
- Professors have a right to establish exam parameters such as the day and time students are to take exams. DSS will only ask for adjustments when a scheduled exam interferes with DSS operations.
- Students will not be allowed to leave the testing area for any reason once an exam has begun unless such student is eligible for an accommodation that allows for movement or restroom breaks.
- Students are not allowed to take books, book bags notes, or any class related material or personal materials (cell phones, etc) into a testing area unless the student has expressed written permission from the instructor as indicated on the Exam Proctoring Request Form.
- Students are responsible for calling DSS and scheduling the exam time on the calendar. This should be done at least 72 hours in advance @ (256)782-8380. DSS office hours are 8:00 am until 4:30 pm Monday - Friday.
- Students that are eligible for reduced distraction test environment will be given an opportunity to test by themselves if space is available. In some situations more than one student will be taking exams during test time. Please remember that reduced distraction test environment is not defined as "private test room." Reduced distraction means fewer disruptions. No environment is 100% free of distractions.
- Students who arrive at DSS late for an exam may have this time deducted from their scheduled testing time, as in the case of classroom testing.
- If a student does come in for a scheduled exam with DSS, the exam will be returned to the instructor and the student will have to work out arrangements for a make-up exam with that instructor.
Student Signature Date