Frequently Asked Questions

1)      What do I need to do to receive services through DSS at JSU?

You should be an admitted student and complete the DSS Request for Services form. We also need you to provide documentation of your disability from a medical or mental health provider.

2)      I was diagnosed as a child with ADHD or a learning disability, but did not receive accommodations in high school. Can I still be eligible for DSS services and receive reasonable accommodations in college?

DSS talks with each student individually and gathers information about their medical and educational history. A student may be eligible for reasonable accommodations even if they did not use them in high school.

3)      Does DSS test for learning disabilities or ADD/ADHD?

DSS will provide screenings and refer to local resources for testing and evaluation.

4)      Is there any special financial assistance for students with disabilities wanting to pursue higher education? All students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( JSU also offers scholarship opportunities and students with disabilities may be eligible for financial assistance through their state department of rehabilitation services.

5)      My disability requires a private room or private bathroom in university housing. How do I request housing accommodations?

Register with DSS and submit documentation of your disability. DSS will coordinate with University Housing and Residence Life to work out any needed accommodations.

6)      What if I am a visitor or student that has difficulty accessing a JSU facility or classroom? Please call (256) 782-8380 and let us know if you have any concerns about physical accessibility on campus. DSS works with Capital Planning and Facilities to identify and address concerns about physical accessibility.

7)      Does JSU provide transportation to students with disabilities?

JSU offers jsuRIDE. To learn more, visit

8)      I have a state-issued disability access license plate or a disability access placard. Where can I park on campus?

Students are zoned according to their housing assignment. Commuters are assigned to the silver zone. Each building has accessible parking spots near accessible entrances. Students should register their vehicle and display their parking decal along with their state issued placard. University Police will issue a JSU disability access placard to be displayed in addition to the state-issued designation.

9)      Does DSS offer sign language classes?

DSS does not offer sign language classes at this time, but our staff may be able to direct you to classes offered in the region.

10)   Does DSS provide personal care attendants or someone to push my wheelchair?

JSU does not provide personal services for students or visitors.

11)   Does JSU provide Orientation and Mobility (O&M) training or sighted guides for individuals who are blind? JSU does not provide personal services, but can direct students to resources for O&M training.

12)   Does DSS pay for interpreting and captioning for students who are deaf or hard of hearing?


13)   How do I request an Interpreter or Captionist for my classes or out of class meetings? Please submit the Request for Interpreting/Captioning Services form located on our website.

14)   Will DSS send my IPP to my professors?

DSS prefers that each student pick up their IPP’s in the office at the beginning of the semester so that they can communicate with their instructors about how the accommodations will be delivered. DSS can email IPP’s to the student and/or instructor, if needed.

15)   Can DSS talk with my parents?

DSS prefers to talk to students, but we can speak with your parents if you have noted permission on the Request for Services form.

16)   I received special education or had a 504 Plan in high school, how are services different in college?

Colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations that may be necessary for equal access to education. Each student has the right to choose to register with DSS and to determine which classes they utilize their accommodations. The student is responsible for communicating with their professors and the DSS each semester, in regard to reasonable accommodations. Professors are not required to modify curriculum or alter deadlines. They are not required to change exam content. Students are responsible for understanding and following the course syllabus.

17)   Will being registered with DSS show up on my transcript or other records from JSU?

Receiving services from DSS will not be noted on the academic transcript. Records are kept securely in the DSS office. 

18)   Who do I talk with if I have a grievance or disagree with a decision related to my reasonable accommodations?

You may contact a DSS staff member or Julie Nix, Director of Counseling and Disability Support Services at or (256) 782-5815. Ms. Nix’s Office is located in 143 Daugette Hall. You may also contact Dr. Timothy B. King, Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs at or (256) 782-5020. Dr. King’s office is located in the lobby of the Library.

 An online student complaint form is located at

 The ADA Compliance Officer is Mrs. Jennifer Argo, 109 Angle Hall, (256) 782-8565. Mrs. Argo’s email is