Content Top Nav Left Nav Utility Nav Site Search
Mobile Menu

Disability Support Services

More Links

Instructions for Academic Coursework

Instructions for CMP Participants

Step One:

Choose the course you want to attend at an accredited college or university. The course does not have to pertain strictly to interpreting; it can be a course in Linguistics, Business, Psychology, Social Work, etc. As long as the course is educationally beneficial to you as an interpreter, it can earn CEUs for you.

Step Two:

Contact an RID-Approved Sponsor and secure their agreement to process the paperwork for the course. Be sure to discuss the Content Area for which you are applying (Professional Studies or General Studies) and how many CEUs will be earned. The standard formula for determining the number of CEUs per course is as follows:

  • 1.5 CEUs per credit for a course taken in a semester session.
  • 1.0 CEUs per credit for a course taken in a quarter session.

Step Three:

Complete the Academic Coursework Activity Plan and Activity Report form from your Sponsor. Attach pertinent documentation (course outline and documentation that college/university is accredited). Return form and documentation to your Sponsor, who will keep the form until your course is completed.

Step Four:

Upon completion of the course, or if the course has been completed, obtain a copy of your transcript proving a grade of "C" or better. Send transcript copy to the RID-Approved Sponsor.

CEUs must be requested prior to the beginning of the academic class; all follow-up paperwork should be submitted to the RID-Approved Sponsor no later than 15 days after the completion of the class.

Back to Top