Click Selection

Search News Releases:

News Resources
on the Web

8 November 2006

The Food Guys: Whattya mean I’m cranky?!!
Whattya mean it’s food?!!

In this article, Dr. Debra Goodwin, Head of the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, Jacksonville State University and Al Harris, Director of the JSU News Bureau, take a look at how foods affect one's mood. If you have been cranky, you might want to check what you are eating. Nutritionists are recommending four specific nutrients to boost one’s mood. These are omega-3 fatty acids, folic acid, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D. Recent research suggests that including omega-3’s in the diet lifts one’s mood and alleviates depression. At our house, we eat the omega-3 fortified eggs and walnuts. We also use canola oil which is a good source. Other foods that will boost omega-3 intake are salmon, sardines, mackerel and flaxseeds.

Folate and Vitamin B12 are vitamins that scientists believe create serotonin which is one of the neurotransmitters that help to normalize mood. Studies have shown that low blood concentrations of these two vitamins are related to depression. Foods rich in folate include lentils, black-eyed peas, oatmeal, mustard greens, broccoli and oranges. Vitamin B12 is found in wild salmon, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, eggs and shellfish.

New research suggests that Vitamin D may help to alleviate “seasonal affective disorder,” also know as the winter blues, by increasing amounts of serotonin. Foods high in Vitamin D include fish with bones, milk, egg yolk, and fortified soy milk

See story at The Anniston Star's website: .

Note: JSU faculty, staff and students may access The Anniston Star online through their affiliation with the University. Those not affiliated with JSU may have to subscribe to receive The Anniston Star online. If you already subscribe to The Anniston Star, you receive a complimentary online membership. This provides complete access to all the content and services of the site at no additional charge. Otherwise there is a $5 online monthly charge for their online service. Contact The Anniston Star for information.

Submit items for news releases by using the request form at