14 September 2005
Update on SGA's Katrina Relief Efforts
Student Government Association President Mardracus L. Russell
reported this morning that approximately $3,511 has been raised for Katrina relief efforts through the SGA's Quarter
'n' Up spare change collection drive. Collections will continue on campus through Family Day on October 15.
Russell said the SGA is planning to present a check to the Red Cross during the Family Day football game (JSU vs.
UT-Martin -- Hall of Fame/Preview, and Family Day) at Paul Snow Stadium.
In other progress, the SGA reports:
- Quarter 'n' Up collection containers have been placed in the Bursar's Office, Financial Aid Office, and
other high-traffic locations around campus.
- The Rotaract Club is planning to offer a tee-shirt, with 100 percent of the proceeds benefiting Katrina survivors.
Anyone who would like to assist with the project should contact Liz Hendricks at 256-283-5180.
- Campus organizations planning to turn in cash contributions must first go by the Office of Student Life and
complete a registration form.
- Cpl. Ricky Gaither of the University Police Dept. is coordinating a clothing drive for evacuees sheltered at
McClellan. The drive will take place from Sept. 26 through Oct. 15. For more information, contact Gaither at Ext. 5050.
- Michelle Page is coordinating a Care Bear project jointly with UPD and the Office of Student Life. For more
information, call Ext. 5491.
- Beginning Thursday, Sept. 15, representatives from the SGA, BCM, and the Wesley Foundation will be circulating on
campus with Quarter 'n' Up collection containers. They will be working high-traffic areas near classroom buildings
- The SGA is coordinating efforts with the City of Jacksonville to establish ways for community involvement.
For more information, contact SGA President Russell at Ext. 5042.
- Everyone is invited to attend meetings of the SGA's Katrina relief committee each Tuesday at
11 a.m. in the Office of Student Life.
Submit items for news releases by using the request form at