UPD Issues Crime Alert
*** Crime Alert * * *
- Date: 24 November through 28 November 2004
- Location: Southwest Jacksonville
- Offense: Burglary
- Summary: The Jacksonville City Police are investigating a series of burglaries near campus. The houses and apartments are
rented by JSU students. Numerous items were stolen including a SKS Assault Rifle, Compound Bow, televisions, electronic games, CD
Players and CDís, jewelry, and cash. The incidents occurred over the Thanksgiving holiday. Some of the residences showed signs
of forced entry.
- Time: 8:20 p.m.
- Location: Jacksonville Place Apartments
- Offense: Robbery 1st-Street-Gun
- Summary: The Jacksonville City Police are investigating a robbery near campus. The robbery occurred at Jacksonville Place
Apartments. A male victim had just gotten out of his car when he was approached by a black male wearing a dark colored jacket,
white shirt, dark pants, winter baggan hat and blue bandana around his neck. The male subject approached the victim in the
parking lot and demanded money. The victim gave him all the money he had and the male subject left the area.
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT EITHER OF THESE CRIMES, PLEASE CONTACT THE JACKSONVILLE CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT AT 435-6448 OR
THE JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT AT 782-5050.
- Keep doors and windows locked even when you are home.
- Garage doors and windows should be closed and locked.
- Use at least two light timers.
- Stop mail and newspaper deliveries when you are gone for several days.
- Have a serial number list of valuables available for police.
PERSONAL SAFETY REMINDERS
- Look assertive, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Be aware that your risk increases in secluded and isolated areas.
- Walk with a trusted friend or coworker when possible.
- Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative.
- Have your keys in hand before you reach your vehicle.
- If you feel threatened on campus, look for a blue light emergency phone, call 6000 for UPD emergency or 911 from any phone.
- Keep rooms locked at all times.
For more security information, please visit the UPD website: police.jsu.edu.
Submit items for
news releases by using the request form at http://www.jsu.edu/news/requestform.html.