Thursday, September 9, 2021
11 am - 12:30 pm
Stone Center Theatre
This free event is sponsored by the JSU American Democracy Project and is open to the campus and community. The panel will include JSU and community speakers impacted by the events of 9/11. This event will be live streamed on YouTube for those who cannot attend.
As 9/11 and the events that followed directly impacted JSU and the community, panel members will reflect on the significance of 9/11 and respond to questions from the audience.
Reserved seating for individuals with mobility issues will be available on the back row of Stone Center Theatre. The front three rows of the theatre will be reserved for Active Military, Veterans, and First Responders.
View the Ceremony Live on YouTube on 9/9
- William A. Meehan. Ed.D. - Jacksonville State University President 1999-2015
- David A. McPherson (COL. Ret.), Manager and Deputy Installation Commander of the Fort McClellan Army National Guard Training Center
- Angie L. McPherson, Principal at Loyd Elementary School (Department of Defense Schools) on Fort Benning, Georgia
- Miranda Killingsworth Pate, 2001-2002 Jacksonville State University Student Government Association President, currently an educator at Sonoraville Elementary School in Calhoun, Georgia
- Robert Hayes, 2002-2003 Jacksonville State University Student Government Association President, currently Associate Dean of The University of Alabama's College of Continuing Studies
- LTC Travis J. Easterling, Professor of Military Science/Aviation at Jacksonville State University; deployed once to Iraq, three times to Afghanistan, once to Pakistan, and to Operation Atlantic Resolve. He commissioned as an Aviation Officer in 2004 via the U.S. Army ROTC at Arkansas State University.
- Mrs. Pearl Williams, "Gold Star Mother" of Army Major Dwayne Williams; retired police officer and JSU counselor; earned a B.A. in Law Enforcement and an MPA from JSU.
- Ben Cunningham, editor of JSU student newspaper The Chanticleer on 9/11; staff writer, metro editor, and managing editor for The Anniston Star; engineering assistant for the U.S. Air Force; currently an instructor of Communication at JSU.
- Lori J. Owens, Ph.D., Professor of Political Science; Director, JSU Honors Program; Chair, JSU American Democracy Project
For more information, contact the JSU Office of Undergraduate Studies and Special Programs:
(256) 782-8335 or email Lori Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org