Schedule an Advising Appointment
Scheduling an Appointment with your Academic Advisor
- Each Advisor has his or her own process for Academic Advisement.
- Your academic advisor might:
- Expect you to contact them directly to schedule an advising appointment
- Schedule an appointment using the Navigate Student App
- Send you an appointment request
- Have you sign-up outside their office door
Guidelines for Advisement Meetings
- Be respectful of your advisor's time
- Refer to your advisor by their appropriate title (Dr., Mr., Ms., etc.)
- Provide your Student ID, so your advisor can access your information readily
- Arrive on time for your appointment
- Take ownership of your academic plan
- Be prepared for your meeting
- Bring your complete Major check sheet
- Bring your trial schedule or have access to your schedule planner registration cart
Tip for Scheduling Classes
- Find the advising check sheet for your major under your department’s website.
- Check off your completed coursework and current classes based on your transcript
*This will be your guide for choosing classes
- Which courses must be completed in sequence?
- Are there prerequisites?
- Are you required to take a specific number of credit hours? (Financial Aid, Scholarships, etc.)
- How many classes per day can you manage?
- Location and time of classes. Are you allowing yourself enough time to travel to your next class and arrive on time?
- Do you have an instructor preference?
- Which method will you use to create your schedule?
- Schedule Planner on MyJSU
- Interactive Dynamic Schedule on JSU Website
- Quickly creates schedule options for selected courses
- Add breaks to your schedule
- Add padding to your schedule
- Remove course options
- Using Schedule Planner to make schedule changes once you register can be confusing and difficult.
- See Schedule Planner – Video Instructions for more information
- Can be used to search for individual course options
- Provides course descriptions/prerequisites
- After registering, the interactive schedule allows for easy changes to individual courses without changing the entire schedule.