Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I get examples of proposals that have been funded?

    Dependent upon the granting agency, examples of funded proposals are usually available online. Colleagues that have written successful proposals are an excellent resource and the Office of Sponsored Programs has copies of funded proposals that you are welcome to review.
  • Is there a limit to the amount of extra compensation that a staff or faculty member can earn from a grant?

    University Policy BP II:05:02 states that the maximum amount of extra compensation an employee may earn during a calendar month while under a nine-month faculty/staff contract is limited to their respective annual compensation defined as their gross salary.
  • How do I calculate my salary/fringe rates for a buy-out?

    Contact the Office of Sponsored Programs. We will get those rates for you and help you develop the final budget.
  • If the externally funded grant allows for the purchase of equipment, do I have to go through JSU Purchasing Office for the equipment?

    Yes. All equipment purchases must go through the JSU Purchasing Office. Equipment is considered any one (1) item that costs $5,000 or more. Refer to BP IV:03:01 for more information.
  • How much am I allowed to pay Graduate Assistants and/or Student Workers?

    Grant guidelines are often very specific about how much GA's and/or Student Workers are to be paid so careful attention to that is important. JSU's policy states that Graduate Assistants receive 6 hours of tuition and a $520/month stipend; Work Study and University Student Workers are to be paid no less than minimum wage and typically work at least 20 hours a week. Refer to the Graduate Assistantship Program and the Employment of Student Workers sections in the University Policies and Procedures Manuals for detailed information. If the funder allows more than the University policy states, that is allowable.
  • Are there guides for preparation and submission of NSF Applications?

    Yes. provides Tips and Tools that will help you through the process. The National Science Foundation (NSF) also publishes a Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) for assistance.  
    Use the applicable guides as you prepare your proposal for submission. It is important to remember that only the President and/or the Vice President for Finance and Administration is authorized to sign any proposal documentation on behalf of the University. All proposal submissions should be generated by the Office of Sponsored Programs after the applicable internal procedures have been followed.