Policies and Procedures
Motor Pool Clients please note the following:
Before Your Reservation Date
- Reserving a vehicle: Motor Pool Clients wanting to reserve a vehicle must complete the New Driver Form and Driver Safety Training prior to picking up the key packet. This must be completed annually. The link to the New Driver Form can be found by visiting jsu.edu/motorpool. The Driver Safety Training is administered through the JSU Department of Human Resources.
- Reserving a GEM: Motor Pool Clients wanting to reserve a GEM must complete the New Driver Form and GEM Safety Training prior to picking up the key packet. This must be completed annually. The link to the New Driver Form can be found by visiting jsu.edu/motorpool. The GEM Safety Training is administered through the JSU Department of Human Resources.
Reservation Pick Ups
- A key packet is prepared for Motor Pool Clients to pick up at the University Transportation Services building on the day and time of the reservation.
- Key packets may not be picked up earlier than the scheduled time unless approved by the Coordinator of Transportation.
- In order to guarantee that Motor Pool Clients are able to pick up their key packets without any problems, we ask that you pick them up Monday – Friday between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. If your reservation is scheduled for a time outside of Motor Pool business hours, please email email@example.com to schedule a time to pick up your key packet.
- All vehicles are located in the parking lot beside the tennis court behind Pete Mathews Coliseum. The location of your vehicle will be specified on your reservation confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All GEMs will be parked at University Transportation Services parking lot at the day and time of the reservation.
- A key packet should be returned from Motor Pool Clients to the University Transportation Services building if the return day and time is during Motor Pool business hours.
- If the return day and time is outside of Motor Pool business hours, the key packet should be returned to the University Police Department at Salls Hall.
- All vehicles must be returned to the parking lot beside the tennis courts behind Pete Mathews Coliseum. Keys must be returned to the University Transportation Services building.
- All GEMs must be returned to the University Transportation Services building.
- All vehicle fuel receipts must be placed inside the key packet.
- GEMs may only be driven on campus streets with a posted speed limit of 20 mph. GEMs should not be on Pelham Road or Highway 204 at any time.
- While they are street legal, they are not to go beyond the boundaries of campus.
- Monitor the battery level and notify Motor Pool at email@example.com if the battery reaches below half-full.
- All drivers and riders should buckle up every time.
- When the GEM is in neutral (park), make sure the emergency brake is pulled up fully.
- Notify any damages to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately!
- All vehicles must be refilled before they are returned to the parking lot beside the tennis courts behind Pete Mathews Coliseum. If a Motor Pool Client returns a vehicle without refilling the gas tank, the account on the Vehicle Request Form will be charged for the cost to refuel the vehicle.
- The credit card for each vehicle is located in the key packet. Original fuel receipts and the Motor Pool Rental Receipt Form must be returned with the provided folder. The WEX Credit Card may only be used for authorized fuel purchases for the JSU Motor Pool Vehicle to which the card is issued. Any use of this credit card for other vehicles is illegal.
- Since many individuals express discomfort when exposed to secondhand smoke and/or smokeless receptacles, University Transportation Services has adopted a policy that restricts smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco in any JSU Motor Pool Vehicle. If a vehicle must be professionally cleaned because of a smoke odor, a charge will be applied to the account indicated on the Vehicle Request Form.
- Animals are not allowed in any JSU Motor Pool Vehicle, with the exception of service animals, without the approval of the Coordinator of Transportation. If a vehicle must be professionally cleaned because a pet was transported, a charge will be applied to the account indicated on the Vehicle Request Form.
- If there is excess trash/garbage left in the vehicle after it has been returned, a charge will be applied to the account indicated on the Vehicle Request Form.
- During normal business hours, please contact the University Transportation Services at 256-782-8132 or email@example.com. After hours, please contact the JSU University Police and the Motor Pool after-hour emergency number at 256-689-0331 (Text or Call).
- Report any suspected mechanical or physical damage problems with the vehicle. Do not leave a note in the vehicle.
- All JSU Motor Pool Vehicle accidents must be reported immediately (no matter how minor) to the University Transportation Services (256-782-8132) during business hours and JSU Police Department (256-782-5050) after hours.
- Accident reports and pictures must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Motor Pool Client/Department that reserves the vehicle will be responsible for towing and damages.
- If a Motor Pool Vehicle Key Packet is returned without a key, it will be at the expense of the Motor Pool Client/Department that reserved the vehicle.
Cell Phone Use
- All drivers are discouraged from using a cellular phone while operating a motor vehicle to conduct state business, except for the purpose of obtaining emergency assistance.
- Driving a JSU Motor Pool Vehicle is a privilege and, as such, the privilege may be revoked for misuse, disregard of the regulations governing the use of the vehicle, or failure to obey traffic laws.
Important Motor Pool Numbers
Motor Pool Office: 256-782-8132 or email@example.com
University Police Department: 256-782-5050
Roadside Assistance: 1-800-325-8838
Frequently Asked Questions
8:00 am – 4:30 pm
• Use the Fuel Card inside the key wallet
• Fuel Card instructions:
• Insert card at pump
• When prompted, enter the vehicle odometer reading
• When prompted, enter the car pin/driver ID number. The Driver ID number can be found on the business card inside of the key wallet.
• Sedan (4-passgenger)
• Vans (6-passenger)
• Nissan NV/Ford Transit/Chevy Express (12-passenger)
• GEMs (4-passenger and 6-passenger)