International Freshman Next Steps
Find Your JSU ID Number
Your nine-digit JSU Identification (ID) Number is located at the top of your acceptance letter. You will use this number to reference your personal student information when contacting offices on campus.
Log In to MyJSU
Your username and initial password are located at the bottom of your acceptance email. You will use this username and initial password to access your MyJSU account to view personal student information, view your financial aid information, and access many other options.
Log In to Your JSU Email Account (GEM)
Each student is assigned a JSU E-mail account upon admission. The E-mail address is located at the bottom of your acceptance letter. Visit Office 365 to log in. Please start checking your JSU E-mail account frequently as important information is communicated via this account.
Apply for Competitive Scholarships
Jax State offers great, automatically awarded merit-based scholarships, but more funding is always a bonus! You can apply for over 250 scholarships through one application – the JAX App – as well as other competitive scholarships like the Honors, Leadership, or the International House Scholarship. Learn more about the scholarship opportunities available to you.
Complete Immigration Requirements
Each international students has specific immigration requirements they must take before attending school in the United States.
Would you like to register early for classes and get the best schedule even before you obtain your student visa?
Just two easy steps after you have been accepted to JSU!
1. Register and Pay your $200.00 housing deposit so you will have the best housing accommodations.Pay Online: (Scroll down to bottom) 2. Pay your required international student health insurance (You can request a refund through the insurance company if you do not attend JSU) Please see policy. After these two steps are completed International Student & Scholar Services will connect you with an academic advisor that will register you for your fall classes! It is that easy!!Priority deadline 05/31 & Final Deadline 08/01.
Register for Gamecock Orientation, August 11th, Leone Cole Auditorium, 8:00am-4:30pm Register and Pay Online
Complete Mandatory Online International Orientation: Deadline August 9, 2023.
ALL students are required to complete Online Orientation prior to the program start date. International Orientation is an important part of a student’s process in enrolling as an international student at Jacksonville State University. Students will not be able to enroll properly if they do not complete the online orientation. Holds will be placed on students’ accounts preventing them from registering if they have failed to complete the mandatory Online International Orientation. To complete International House and Programs Orientation, you must have a JSU email and follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Logging into Canvas for the first time
- Go to the Canvas login page
- Choose “Forgot Password?”
- Enter your JSU email (for example, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Watch for reset password email at your JSU email
- Login with the new password at the Canvas login page
- NOTE: If you do not receive a reset password email, try searching in your email reader for an email from email@example.com
- Step 2: Self-enroll into the International Student Orientation
- Step 3: Review and complete all modules and mark each page as done.
- Register for Gamecock Orientation
- Registration for orientation opens February 1steach year. All first-year students are required to attend Gamecock Orientation.
Send Final High School Transcripts
It is a requirement for enrollment at JSU that students complete secondary school or graduate from high school. In order to verify that you have completed secondary school, you will need to have your school submit your final secondary school transcript and proof of graduation to the International House and Programs office or you can bring your official high school documents in a sealed envelope when attending mandatory international orientation.
Complete EdReady Placement Exams
EdReady placement exams allow us to place you in first collegiate math and English classes. Be sure to complete before you attend Gamecock Orientation.
Complete Immunization Forms
Immunizations Are Required for All Students (American & International) Jacksonville State University requires that all incoming students provide documentary evidence of immunizations through the Immunization Portal. All incoming students regardless of classification, must have:
- Proof of two (2) Varicella vaccinations
- Proof of two (2) MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccinations
- 1 up to date Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)
- Proof of a negative TB (tuberculosis) screening skin test (Within 6 months of arrival on campus)
- If TB screening skin test is positive, provide chest x-ray report
- Through MedProctor, you will complete medical information and immunization forms so we can best serve you at the Student Health Center!
Make Travel Arrangements & Confirm Date of Arrival
Students cannot arrive more than 30 days before the program start date that is listed on the I-20. Students must complete online reporting before the program start date listed on their I-20. Students are required to upload all travel documents (passport, I-20, I-94) and proof of insurance on the international student portal when reporting online. All students are responsible for understanding and knowing ALL immigration regulations. Learn more about the services JSU provides to new international students.
Set Up Payment
After attending orientation and registering for classes, students will be able to see their account balance on MyJSU. International students can pay tuition online through their student account by using Flywire. This is a service that allows you to bypass international transfer fees and access foreign exchange rates that are more favorable than those offered by banks. https://www.flywire.com/pay/jsu Failure to pay fees and tuition in full may result in dismissal from JSU. Visit the International House & Programs website for detailed tuition, fee, and other cost information. The costs stated in I-20 form are estimates. For information on JSU’s refund policy and dates, please visit JSU's Bursar's Office.