Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Admissions admits students to graduate studies, provided the student meets all admission requirements. Some schools require students to meet additional admissions criteria to be accepted into a specific program. Graduate Studies is the initial point of contact for all students who are interested in pursuing graduate work at JSU. Graduate Studies will direct students to the appropriate advisor for specific program requirements.

For some programs application deadlines do exist. Please refer to the Graduate Programs page to determine if a specific deadline exists for the program you are interested in. Unless otherwise stipulated in the graduate catalog, students are allowed one registration prior to submitting all required admission documents to the Graduate Office. Students will not be allowed to register or pre-register for subsequent semesters until all application procedure requirements have been completed and the student is admitted to graduate studies.

You can view a listing of the degrees we offer on the Graduate Programs page. when you click on the program, the application information for that degree will be listed. If you still have questions after reading the online information, you may call Graduate Studies at 256-782-5348 or you are welcome to stop by the Graduate Office located on the third floor of Angle Hall. Staff in the graduate office will be happy to discuss admission requirements and refer you to the appropriate departmental faculty to answer specific program questions.

A class schedule is put online by the Office of the Registrar every semester i.e. fall, spring, and summer. In addition, a course numbering system exists that differentiates undergraduate from graduate courses. 400/400G: undergraduate/graduate 500: Graduate only 600: Postmasters/Ed.S. 800:DSc If you register for a 400/400G level class and you are taking it for graduate credit, make sure you are registered for the graduate level section.

Yes. Please refer to the Graduate Programs page or your advisor to ensure you maintain the identified GPA for your program. You may also consult with the Graduate Office.

Students who fall below the required GPA for their program of study will be notified by the graduate office that they will be placed on academic probation or removed from graduate studies.

Students who are granted conditional admission must achieve the required GPA for their major on the first 12 graduate hours attempted.

Yes. You can find these dates on the registrar’s office web page or you can call the Office of the Registrar at 256-782-8270.

Yes. There is a six calendar year time limit to complete your program. Exceptions are considered for students who can demonstrate a compelling reason why they were unable to finish their program within the six year calendar time frame.

For the DSc in Emergency Management, there is a 10 calendar year time limit.

Yes. You must complete a Transfer Credit Request. You will also be required to provide course descriptions, and we will verify the courses are at the graduate level. You must earn an A, B, P, or S in the course(s). Transfer course work cannot be used to elevate the GPA. The appropriate department and the Dean of Graduate Studies approve all transfer course work prior to registering for classes at another institution if your home institution is JSU. Please consult the Transfer Student page regarding limitations on the number of hours a student can transfer to JSU.

Each program decides on the format for a comprehensive/exit exam. Contact your advisor to ascertain what will be required for you to graduate. You must complete an online Application for Degree regardless of the exit requirements for your program. Deadlines are posted for each semester on the Graduation Information section of the graduate website.

You may contact the Houston Cole Library at 256-782-5068 or visit their website. You may want to visit the library to familiarize yourself with the location of various sources you will use while enrolled as a graduate student at JSU.

You may contact Online@JSU at 256-782-8172 or visit their website.

You may contact the Financial Aid office at 256-782-5006 to inquire about the various types of available assistance, and any restrictions that apply. You can also contact Graduate Studies at 256-782-5764 to inquire about the Graduate Assistantship Program. This program provides tuition remission and a stipend for students who qualify, depending upon available assistantships. Assistantships are located in many departments across campus. 

If you are on campus you may pay tuition and fees at the Bursar’s Office in Angle Hall. If you enter Angle Hall through the main entrance that faces Pelham Road, turn right, and the cashier windows are half way down the hall on the right side. When you register on-line you have the option of paying tuition and fees with one of three credit cards: Mastercard, Visa, or Discover. During open registration, payment for tuition and fees must be made on the day you register for classes.

The ID card fee is charged to a student’s account when the student’s application for admission is entered into the student data base. The initial cost of an ID card is $10.00 and $15.00 for a replacement card. Returning students are not required to purchase a new ID card if they retained their old ID card. Please call the Theron Montgomery building at 256-782-5552 to find out the hours of operation to have your ID card made. A student can have money put on an ID to use at the various cafeterias and food court at JSU. Go to the Dining Hall Office at Jack Hopper Hall to have money put on your ID.

Students must register online for a parking decal. Online registration for parking decals is mandatory. The University Police will continue to register students requiring a JSU handicap decal. You may call 256-782-5050/5551 to make arrangements for this decal. Students must register for their parking decal through their MyJSU page. There are three options for purchasing a parking decal:
  1. Students can have their student account charged;
  2. Students may order by credit card; or
  3. Students may register their State issued Jacksonville State University Tag (J-TAG)
Students must pick up their decals at the University Police Department in Salls Hall and must present a vehicle registration and a current ID when picking up their decal.

If you are an online student, please go to the Online@JSU website. You will receive directions concerning your ID card and other important information.

All students enrolled at JSU are eligible for a JSU mailbox. To be assigned a mailbox, students must come to the customer service window at the JSU Mail Center. All correspondence from the University and personal correspondence will be placed in JSU mailboxes. Financial aid checks will be assigned to a JSU mailbox if they have no other designation, i.e. “Mail-at-Home” or “Direct Deposit”. Both options can be accessed through your “My JSU” account. Stamps, fax, and mail services are available at the JSU Mail Center.

The JSU Mail Center is located on the 4th floor, TMB, and is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The Mail Center telephone number is 256-782-5290 and the fax number is 256-782-5291.

  1. Go to
  2. Click on “how do I get a user name and password” 
  3. User name is the same as your Email Address without the
  4. If you have never logged on to MyJSU before, your user name and initial password can be retrieved using the Initial Credentials for students link. 
    • MyJSU Account: Same as your Email Address without the
    • MyJSU Password: Initial password is set to your birth date in the format: MMDDYY
  5. Here you will enter various information about yourself to retrieve your username and password. Students who have difficulty gaining access to their MyJSU account should contact the JSU Help Desk at 256-782-8324.

You must confirm with the faculty member that you will be permitted to receive an I (incomplete) grade and the faculty member will record this with the Office of the Registrar. Students have approximately one calendar year to complete the required work to receive a letter grade, and should be in contact with the faculty member so that completed work is turned in by the deadline. If a student cannot meet the one year deadline, they must complete an Incomplete Grade Extension Request Form and have the appropriate faculty member sign this form and include an anticipated completion date. The form is then transmitted to the Dean of Graduate Studies for approval. It is the student’s responsibility to complete and submit work by the designated deadline on this form. If you are graduating in the year you receive the incomplete grade, the deadline must be made so you can complete your work in order to get credit for the course towards your graduation.

Thesis students should contact the Office of Graduate Studies to receive an orientation to the thesis process prior to enrolling in the first three semester hours of thesis, 599. This orientation can be completed either in person or via JSU email. The purpose of the orientation is to provide the thesis student with information concerning required forms, due dates and to answer any questions concerning thesis options and/or procedures. For further information concerning this orientation, please contact LaRilda VanSandt,, 322 Angle Hall.