Grants are often called “gift aid” because they are free money—financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid, except in certain circumstances.

Federal Student Aid Information is located at

Federal Pell Grant - Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense. A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances.  A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed. Steps to complete a FAFSA are listed under the FAQ & Hints tab.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG/SEOG) - To get an FSEOG, a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed so you JSU can determine how much financial need you have. The JSU Office of Student Financial Services will award FSEOGs/SEOGs to students that have the most financial need. The FSEOG/SEOG does not need to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. Jacksonville State University receives a certain amount FSEOG/SEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of JSU’s FSEOG/SEOG funds has been awarded to students, no more FSEOG/SEOG awards can be made for that year. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student.  

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant - A TEACH Grant is different from other federal student grants because it requires you to take certain kinds of classes in order to get the grant and then do a certain kind of job to keep the grant from turning into a loan. The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. As a condition for receiving a TEACH Grant, you complete TEACH Grant Counseling must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree to (among other requirements) teach in a high-need field; at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families; and for at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed. In addition, JSU requires a JSU TEACH Grant Application each year/semester to apply. Applications are located at the JSU Financial Aid Forms page. For additional information, please review the JSU TEACH Grant Application and TEACH Grant information


State Aid

Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) - ACHE offers a variety of scholarships for Alabama Residents. For requirements and application information on the scholarships listed below contact ACHE.

  • Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP)
    • ASAP is a need-based, state/federal grant ranging from $300 to $5000 per academic year.  Eligible students are undergraduate students who are Alabama residents attending eligible Alabama institutions. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed. Jacksonville State University receives a certain amount ASAP funds each year from the ACHE. Once the full amount of JSU’s ASAP funds has been awarded to students, no more ASAP awards can be made for that year. Students who receive ASAP from JSU will be reported to ACHE.
  • Alabama Math and Science Teacher Education Program (AMSTEP)
    • This program provides grants to participating college and universities to support campus efforts to increase the number of persons completing coursework that would qualify them to sit for the state licensure exam for secondary math and science teacher education in order to address statewide shortages in those teaching fields. The student must go through the JSU Scholarship Office for more information. This program will not be funded after 2018-2019.
  • Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program
    • An award to be used for tuition and educational fees for Alabama National Guard members to attend a postsecondary educational institution in Alabama. The award is based on financial need. This award is for students who are active members in good standing with a federally-recognized unit of the Alabama National Guard. Participants also may receive federal veterans benefits, but must show a cost less aid amount of at least $100. Below is the link to the application. Forms must be signed by a representative of the Alabama Military Department and the financial aid officer at the college or university the student plans to attend. Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required. Student's should contact Military & Post Traditional Student Services for more information.
  • Police Officer's and Firefighter's Survivor's Educational Assistance Program
    • This is a grant covering tuition, fees, books and supplies for dependents and eligible spouses of Alabama police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty. There is no limit on the amount awarded to recipients. Awards are available for only undergraduate study at public institutions in Alabama. Other special eligibility criteria apply. Below are links to the applications. These applications can be filled out online, printed, signed and returned to the Alabama Commission on Higher Education, P O Box 302000, Montgomery, AL 36130-2000.

Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services (ADRS)

Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS), the largest division within the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Service, helps Alabamians with disabilities achieve independence through employment. Students who have physical disabilities may be eligible for assistance through the Vocational Rehabilitation Service. Alabama residents needing more information may contact the agency at 2127 East South Boulevard, Montgomery, AL 36199.

Additional Information - Detailed information on federal student financial aid programs is available from the U.S. Department of Education at and in the JSU Office of Student Financial Services.

Also, try these routes for locating scholarship and grant programs:

The internet is a great place to begin you scholarship search.

For example:

Ask your family and friends if there are scholarships available where they work, or in their communities or through organizations of which they are members.

If you have any hobbies, interests or belong to any clubs, inquire about scholarships through these organizations.

Visit the library.

Ask your high school guidance counselor.

AVOID Scholarship Scams. In your excitement to locate scholarship money, don't fall prey to scholarship scams. Scholarship services that promise to "do the work for you" or require a credit card may not be legitimate sources. Nothing can replace the research and hard work that you do to locate your scholarships. For tips on avoiding scholarship scams, visit the U.S. Federal Trade Commission website at