Past Events: Summer 2020
Faculty Commons is helping faculty prepare web enhancement (WE) courses for the upcoming Fall 2020 semester by implementing a new program modeled after the tracks used in the past. The program includes virtual training sessions and a check of course materials prior to the semester. Faculty who participate fully in the program—minimum of four sessions and “passing” a checklist for every Fall course—will receive a small stipend.
For participants of this program, a WE course means having available in Canvas prior to the semester at least the course syllabus, at least one assignment, and the gradebook. Assistance with Canvas will be provided by three Mentor Leaders and six WE mentors (two from each school), with faculty development sessions beginning July 28, 2020. All full-time and adjunct faculty members who complete a minimum of four sessions and have courses “WE Ready” will be eligible to earn a $200.00 stipend. Sessions will include the following topics:
- Basics of Getting Started with a Web-Enhanced Course and Canvas Basics
July 28 10:00-12:00 and August 3 10:00-12:00
- Creating Assignments, Using Rubrics, and Importing Coursepacks
July 30 10:00-12:00 and August 5 10:00-12:00
- Gradebook in Canvas
July 31 10:00-12:00 and August 6 10:00-12:00
- Creating Quizzes in Canvas and TurnItIn software
July 28 2:00-4:00 and August 6 2:00-4:00
- Video Conferencing Tools Pt.1
July 30 2:00-4:00 and August 7 10:00-12:00
- Video Conferencing Tools Pt.2: External Apps
August 3 2:00-4:00 and August 7 2:00-4:00
- Modules, Course Copy, Organization, Aesthetics, Canvas Clean up and Class last minute prep
August 5 2:00-4:00 and August 10 10:00-12:00
Participants will be asked to pre-register for TEAMS virtual meetings, and all participants will be asked to conduct some preliminary work in order to be able to develop content during the sessions. For example, participants in the first session will be asked to have a syllabus ready prior to participating in the session, which focuses on loading that syllabus to Canvas.
In order to be eligible to earn the stipend, faculty must do the following:
- Complete Tier 1 and/or show evidence of a syllabus, assignment, and active gradebook in at least one Fall 2020 course before advancing to Tier 2
- For those beginning with Tier 1, participate in all Tier 1 sessions and at least one Tier 2 session; others will participate in at least two Tier 2 training sessions
- Participate in a Teams meeting with school WEM to provide evidence of WE criteria for all courses being taught in the fall, to include criteria from University, School, and Departmental WE checklist by August 13.
To participate in the program, faculty must register for the program by August 3.