First Class Pre-K
Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K Program
Applications are now available for JSU's 2 First Class Pre-K Classrooms! Please review the flyer (pictured) and follow the link below to apply. Applications will be open from January 15 to March 2, 2023. Random selection will be held on March 6, 2023, at 3:30 pm at the JSU Child Development Center. All applicants are invited to attend; however, it is not required. Acceptance emails will be sent in mid-April. If you have any questions, please call 256-782-8655 for more information.
Rules and Requirements
- First Class Pre-K programs are accepting online pre-registration applications for the 2023-2024 school year beginning January 15th. (If you need assistance with accessing the online application, contact the local school/program.)
- Enrollment is open to all children four years of age on or before 9/1/23* who are residents of Alabama. (Children who are eligible for kindergarten are not eligible for pre-k.)
- Enrollees must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate. (It may be uploaded into the online pre-registration site or submitted directly to the local school/program.)
- Enrollees must provide proof of residence – either a current utility bill or copy of a lease or mortgage. (It may be uploaded into the online pre-registration site or submitted directly to the local school/program.)
- Public school system pre-k programs may have zoning requirements that determine eligibility for attending a program at a particular school. (Contact the school for attendance zone information.)
- There is no registration fee for First Class Pre-K programs.
- Upon enrollment, a child’s immunization record must be provided to the school or program.
- No child will be denied participation on basis of income, sex, race, color, national origin, or disability.
Random Drawing Details
Monday, March 6, 2023
JSU Child Development Center - Pod 2
115 College Street SW, Jacksonville, AL 36265
Acceptance into a First Class Pre-K program is strictly through random drawing. Parent/Guardian does not have to be present at drawing. Email notices of acceptance status will be sent in mid-April.
For information please contact CDC Director, Nikki Truss or Assistant Director, Meredith Crosson or by phone at 256-782-8655.
Download Printable Information Guide
*An opinion of the Attorney General states in effect that under the common law one’s age is computed by including the day of birth so that a given age is attained the day before the birthday anniversary. ~Ala. Code §16-28-4(1975) Interpretation based on Report of Attorney General of Alabama October-December 1963, Volume 113, page 20.