Scholarship applications are now open for the 2021-2022 academic year!
Each year we award thousands of dollars in scholarships to our talented, hard-working students. This year, we will hold our scholarship auditions and portfolio reviews virtually for both Drama and Film majors. Scholarships are awarded through an application process that includes auditions or interviews.
Scholarship auditions will be open until February 1, 2021. We will be accepting video submissions (posted through Youtube or Vimeo) of your auditions or portfolio presentations. For full instructions and to apply for a JSU Drama Department scholarship visit the Financial Aid scholarship page. You must select "Drama Auditions" when completing your application.
Although the scholarship auditions are virtual, we still offer in person tours of the department. Simply email email@example.com to schedule your visit.
What to Prepare
For students interested in the Performance concentration (no Improv or original material):
- Video submission of a one minute comic and one minute serious monologue
- OPTIONAL- one-minute song
- Current resume
- One-minute video essay in which you address why you're interested in studying drama at JSU. This may include a discussion of a favorite play/actor/director. Let us know what inspires you creatively!
For students interested in the Production Concentration
- Video Submission of Portfolio Presentation of theatrical technical or design work. You may also present other original artwork that is relevant.
- Current resume
- One-minute video essay in which you address why you're interested in studying drama at JSU. This may include a discussion of a favorite play/area of production/designer. Let us know what inspires you creatively!
- Resume of film related experience.
- One-minute video essay in which you address why you're interested in studying film at JSU. This may include a discussion of a favorite film or filmmaker. Let us know what inspires you creatively!
- Three-minute original short film OR a three-page original short film script.
All material will be submitted through the JSU scholarship page. Go to http://www.jsu.edu/finaid/scholarships/index.html to complete your application.
Once a scholarship is awarded, students must maintain the following criteria
- Be a declared Drama or Film major.
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.5 per term, 2.5 overall, and 3.0 in Drama and Film courses.
- Make a contribution (either on or back stage) to each production or assigned film projects during the term. Scholarship work and cast assignments are made and announced at the beginning of each semester.
- Attend all department work calls, strikes and tech prep days.
- Be enrolled in at least one DR or FLM course per term.
- Be a full-time (12-hour load minimum) JSU student.
- Have a maximum of three (3) absences in major courses.