About NPHC

JSU Home » Student Life » Fraternity and Sorority Life » About NPHC

The National Pan-Hellenic Council was established in 1930 at Howard University as a national coordinating body for the nine historically African American Fraternities and Sororities which had evolved on American college and university campuses by that time. Blatant racism had prevented many African American students on historically white campuses from joining general fraternities and sororities. African Americans were denied admittance to large numbers of campuses which still prohibited blacks from attending. Therefore, African American students on both types of campuses established fraternities and sororities to enhance their college experiences. These organizations did not then nor do they now restrict membership to African Americans. They have developed, however, a distinctive African American style in their activities both social and philanthropic.

The nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities that make up NPHC are as follows:
1906~ Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. ~Cornell University
1908~ Alpha Kappa Alpha Fraternity, Inc. ~Howard University
1911~ Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. ~Indiana University
1911~ Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. ~Howard University
1913~ Delta Sigma Theta Fraternity, Inc. ~Howard University
1914~ Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. ~Howard University
1920~ Zeta Phi Beta Fraternity, Inc. ~Howard University
1922~ Sigma Gamma Rho Fraternity, Inc. ~Butler University
1963~ Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. ~Morgan State University
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.”