REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SOCIOLOGY MAJOR
The program of study can be found here.
The requirements for a major in Sociology are a minimum of 30 semester hours (10 courses) of Sociology course work. Of those 30 hours, 18 hours (six courses) are dictated by the program while the other 12 hours (four courses) are elective (your choice). These four elective courses must have the SY prefix.
The five required SY courses are:
- SY 221 Introduction to Sociology or SY 222 Honors Introduction to Sociology
- SY 223 Social Problems
- SY 301 Sociological Methods*
- SY 427 Classical Social Theory or SY 428 Contemporary Social Theory**
- SY 499 Senior Sociology Seminar
For the sixth required course you must choose at least one course from the following:
- SY 313 Social Psychology
- SY 324 Social Stratification
- SY 360 Ethnic and Minority Group Relations
The major in Sociology also requires completion of the Sociology Major Field Achievement Test (MFAT), the Graduating Senior Survey (GSS), and an Exit Survey. These are normally given in SY 499 (Senior Sociology Seminar).
The University requires certain courses for all degree-seeking students; these courses are referred to as the core requirements. The core requirements for the various disciplines vary according to major.
The Sociology Major requires:
- English 101, English 102, English 141, and two semesters of literature (any sequence of: English 201, 202; 203, 204; 219, 220; or 231, 232).
- One semester of Fine Arts (select one - Art 202, Drama 242, Music 233, or Foreign Language 101).
- A full sequence of natural science, which may be either Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Geology, or Physics. Biology - BY 101, 102, 103, 104; Chemistry - CY 105, 106, 107, 108; Geography - GY 250, 251, 252, 253, Geology - GL 241, 242, 243, 244; or Physics - PHS 201, 202, 203, 204.
- Math - MS 110 or 112, and MS 204
- Computer Science - CS 201
- Two sequenced semesters of History (either HY 101 and 102 or HY 201 and 202).
- One course in Social/Behavioral Science. Choose any one of the following: Anthropology 224, Economics 221 or 222, Geography 120 or 220, Political Science 100, or Psychology 201 or 222.
* It is strongly advised that SY 301 (Sociological Methods) and MS 204 (Basic Statistics) be taken before the scheduling of electives; these courses will acquaint you with the skills and knowledge needed to understand the discipline.
**It is recommended that both SY 427 and SY 428 be taken if you are interested in attending graduate school in sociology.
You must also choose an academic minor, or a second major. Additional requirements can be found in the university catalogue.
18 hours of Sociology (SY) courses.
- SY 221 Introduction to Sociology
- SY 301 Sociological Methods
- 12 hours of Sociology (SY) courses.