You have and may request the right to notification about:
- All criminal proceedings and charges filed against the defendant, with the exception of initial appearance, and the right to be present at all proceedings.
- Information regarding the appropriate agencies from which you may request information and assistance.
- The pre-sentence report, a right to make a written or oral statement to the probation officer, and a right to review the pre-sentence report.
- The time and place of any sentencing hearing and to make a statement, or present any information at a sentencing proceeding or any other proceedings as authorized by law.
- Information regarding the return of any property taken.
- The date of conviction, acquittal, or dismissal of charges against the defendant and/or the sentence imposed.
- Refusal of an interview or other communication by the defendant, his attorney or anyone acting on his behalf.
- The status and results of any post conviction appeal.
- A waiting area separate from the defendant, his relatives and defense witnesses, if available and practical.
- Submision of a statement to be entered into the prisoner's records.
- Release on bond from prison, escape, re-arrest, or death of prisoner.
- Collection of restitution.
- Release opinion by the Alabama Department of Mental Health.
- Any hearings by the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the right to be present and hear such hearings.
As a crime victim, you may be entitled to compensation from the Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission. You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:
- You have been the victim of personal injury as the result of criminally-injurious conduct.
- You are the dependent of a deceased victim, if such victim died as a result of this crime.
- You did not cause or contribute to the injury or death of the victim.
- An application is filed within one year of the incident.
- The incident was reported to law enforcement within 72 hours.
- You cooperated fully with law enforcement officials.
- Your economic loss has not been paid by other sources.